My house, barn and pond project

/ My house, barn and pond project #1  

rexcramer

Silver Member
Tractor
Case 580C
Howdy everyone, I thought I would share some pics of my project I started in February of 2006 when I bought 18 acres of wooded property near Saginaw, Michigan.

The property is in the floodplain of the Flint River, though it has not flooded for decades. I decided to clear about 2 acres of woods and dig a pond and move the sand about 200 feet to the building site for my home and 32x48 pole barn. I had to build up my home and barn site up about five feet to be sure I would never have any problems with flooding, even in a once in a hundred year flood.

I started out buying an old Case 580C backhoe from a local fella I know. It had a good engine and tranny, it just needed some grease, about ten hoses and a few bushings and seals.

After that I got started clearing woods every night after work for a year. I will find some pics and post them over the next few days, hopefully someone can use this info in their own project.

/ My house, barn and pond project
Here is when Sam (my boy) and Stanley (dog) were giving me a hand before I bought the Case. Sam had to take a nap, and Stanley unfortunately did not make it to see the new house, he passed away on Fathers Day this year.

The pictures dont really show how thick the woods were, I literally had to dive the tractor into the saplings and then use the backhoe to pluck the trees out and make enough room to turn the machine. It was rough for the first few weeks until I had a little clearing and was able to burn the green brush.

Attachments

• 100_0180 small.jpg
    100_0180 small.jpg
    934.3 KB · Views: 829
  • 100_0185 small.jpg
    100_0185 small.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 593
Here is the ole backhoe back to work after a few years off, this machine has paid for itself three times over now.

Attachments

• 100_0317 small.jpg
    100_0317 small.jpg
    931 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_0321 small.jpg
    100_0321 small.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 497
  • 100_0322 small.jpg
    100_0322 small.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 487
Fast forward to this past March, when I finally had the clearing for the house and barn, and was trying to make my way into the pond area but mother nature was giving me a hard time. Every time I took the backhoe into there it took every attachment I had just to move, let alone move any brush or dirt. By now I had new rear tires on the backhoe which helped a lot but I still had to battle constantly.

We eventually hit a wall and had to wait until I got the dozer to my property and even then, we had to be very careful not to bury it in some spots.

Also you can see my log pile I was starting. I ended up having a truck load of logs I sold to a local mill to help finance my project

Attachments

• 100_0911 small.jpg
    100_0911 small.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_0908 small.jpg
    100_0908 small.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 446
oops forgot the last pic

Attachments

• 100_0905 small.jpg
    100_0905 small.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 487
In late spring I bought a nice little 5 yard dump truck, it is a 1987 model but it is in great shape and can dump anything you can get in the box. When we were digging the pond it probably was hauling 8-9 yards all day long and never gave me a problem. I moved 160 loads in two days when we were digging, overall I know I have hauled well over 500 loads.

Also here is the old 1150 dozer I dont own, but worked a deal out with the owner who doesnt use it anymore in his business and he left it for me to use all summer, plus I still have it now.

We spent all summer pushing nice yellow sand out of the pond area, piling it up, and using the backhoe and dump truck to move the sand to the building site. Of course it had to be the hottest summer I remember, with about two months straight of temps between 85 and 95 degrees.

I also got to borrow an old Case W36 loader for a weekend which gave the backhoe a break. The three yard bucket had the dump truck heaped up in tow scoops.

Attachments

• 100_0915 small.jpg
    100_0915 small.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 463
  • 100_1524 small.jpg
    100_1524 small.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 100_1528 small.jpg
    100_1528 small.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 441
  • 100_1568 small.jpg
    100_1568 small.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 502
   / My house, barn and pond project #7  
I love projects like yours!!!

It looks like allot of work, but also the type of fun that you have to experience to truly appreciate. I have some similar equipment and have a pretty good idea of what you are up to. Just stick with it and you'll keep moving forward.

Your pics load big for about a second, then they get real small and impossible to make out anything. Any chance of doing something different when you load them?

If not, they are still awesome.

Eddie

/ My house, barn and pond project #8  
EddieWalker said:
I love projects like yours!!!

It looks like allot of work, but also the type of fun that you have to experience to truly appreciate. I have some similar equipment and have a pretty good idea of what you are up to. Just stick with it and you'll keep moving forward.

Your pics load big for about a second, then they get real small and impossible to make out anything. Any chance of doing something different when you load them?

If not, they are still awesome.

Eddie

Eddie: The pictures are somewhat slow to load, but I get a full screen clear photo on my computer?

LEE

/ My house, barn and pond project #9  
Rex,
I am very envious of your project. All that dirt to move and the equipment to do it. It won't be long and your son will be helping. I would love to see pic's of the pond hole.
Keep up the good work!
Phil