Concrete Block Wall Height

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #1  

BobInMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I've looked all over the web trying to find a site that lists the max height for building with each size block. Anyone know where I might find a web site?

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #2  
It will depend on where you live. In NC, the local inspector can sign off himself on any 12" thick block wall up to 9' high. After that, he demands a set of plans with an engineers stamp. As long as an engineer signs it, you can build anything you want. He will pass it as long as the finished product MATCHES the plans. However, there is eventually going to be some type of limit as to how much rebar you can put in a wall and still have it safe. Expect a high steel bill if you go above 10'. Plus you will have to fill all the cavities once the steel is in place and inspected.

I would guess than 12" block could easily go 30', since you see big box stores all the time that high. What are you building where extreme height might be a concern?

Needless to say, block walls over 10' are not for amateurs to build.

/ Concrete Block Wall Height
Thanks Gordon! I'm thinking of building a new hobby barn. My old barn is falling apart and is not worth fixing. I have to drop my footings 48". They will be 8" X 16". I will need 5 courses of block for the foundation walls. I want 8' sidewalls so that will be another 12 courses. I would probably use rebar and corefill every 48". From what I have been able to figure out so far is that it will be cheaper in the long run to use block then to put up a pole barn. I have laid block before, so that is not a problem.

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #4  
Block cheaper than a pole barn????

Tell me more! That's about 180 off of what I thought. Always happy to learn how to save $$..

jb

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #5  
BobInMN said:
it will be cheaper in the long run to use block then to put up a pole barn. I have laid block before, so that is not a problem.

John- my thoughts too (on saving $$) But on rereading CHEAPER in the LONG run especially if the old barn fell apart because of lack of maintence. Around my area price of concrete products is starting to catch up to the price of steel. Don't worry once that recession is in full swing everything will come down in price. -Ed

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #6  
My garage/shop walls are 16 feet tall with 8" X 16" block and have been inspected and approved, pictures in my gallery and my avatar here
Jim
:)

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #7  
Spend a little bit up front and save yourself a lot of grief later. Talk to an engineer before you do any work at all.

For a few hundred you can get a design which will be stamped & approved.

Sometimes the details of how you put the steel into the poured footing, can make a huge difference in the strength of the finished wall.

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #8  
2X on the 16' walls and the engineer's stamp. -Ed

/ Concrete Block Wall Height
Thanks for all the replies. I have lived on my place for about 5 years. When I first moved here the barn was in bad shape due to foundation failure. I have probably opened a can of worms for a debate on the cost of block buildings versus pole barns. Here is how I figured it. Lets use just one 8' X 40' wall as an example. 320 square feet of wall area. It will take 360 8" X 16" blocks at .89 each for a total of $320.40. Same wall to cover with steel (current price Menards premium pro-rib $83.99 a square) 3.2 squares equals $268.78. Plus 10 sheets of plywood that I would have to use to line the barn (I don't have a current price, but lets figure at least $25.00 a sheet) equals $250.00. Total cost $518.79 for the pole barn wall and this does not even include framing lumber. In my county to build all I have to do is pay $100 for a building permit. What I figure to spend on the barn I would have to pay an Engineer at least 1/5th of the cost to do the specs. I work as a Civil Engineer Tech and did the statics and strengths figures last night (it took a while). If my figures are right I should have no problem with 17 courses high. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.

/ Concrete Block Wall Height #10  
That 40' wall will require a couple hundred dollars in mortar and that doesn't allow for steel either. Are you sure the block is still only $0.89?? They were under a dollar for a long time, but have recently gone up to an average of $1.15. Plan on some kind of coating for another $50 (stucco, marcite, etc)