Security Camera pays off

/ Security Camera pays off #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
We are in such an obscure area the chances of anyone coming up on our property are pretty slim. But as we are not around full time I decided to spring for a cheap security camera. I bought it for $50 from Home Depot, rigged it up to the computer (no cost as I had a converter and spare computer). It points along the side of the house and down the road. I leave it up 24/7. The software emails me when something triggers movement. That is usually the spider on the lense or the occassional leaf.

We are a major part of a water project on our road. We are "sponsoring" the water tanks. Lots of construction over the fall and now winter.

On Dec 3 I got a few emails with someone wandering around the house. This is not uncommon as the construction guys may be looking for water or a quick 110 hookup. But something on it did not feel right so I left the emails and video clips for my return home.

Well, we land up here just before X-mas.. Everything looks OK. Late in the evening I am looking through my open air carport and I suddenly realize I do not see my auto jacks or our window AC unit. These items I had hurridly put out in the carport as I had to return unexpectedly to LA and did not have time to make space in our tiny shed. I figured buried behind a tractor and pickup out of sight they would be safe.

Well, we called the Sheriff, they came out, suggested we contact the contractors. Within 24 hours I received a return call from the contractor, saying I should have the Sheriff call him.

Long story short within 2 days I had all my stuff returned and the culprit in the pokey. Sheriff returned our stuff personally (would never happen in LA).

Anyway, just wanted to say the video stuff works and I know a bit more than I used to on the subject if someone has specific questions.

Carl

/ Security Camera pays off #2  
What software package are you using? The one that came with the camera or something else?

/ Security Camera pays off
I have a Mac. SecuritySpy is the software I am using...securityspy.com I think. No, did not use any software with the camera....

/ Security Camera pays off #4  
Can you give some more details on the setup, I have a spare computer, but not much computer knowledge (very little, I can't even get photos posted yet) Other systems I have looked at start at 1000 dollars, 50 bucks sounds much better. I was interested in a 2 camera setup, if that makes a difference. Thanks.

/ Security Camera pays off #5  
I'm very interested in this as well. I've found some good units with DVR from Costco, but I don't think they email you. Your setup odviously works so I'd like to duplicate it if I may.

/ Security Camera pays off #7  
I use a similar system for my office. It uses any PC camera. The software I use is called "DigiWatcher". I think it was $30 or so, available online. When it detects movement, you can control what it does, including emailing you stills (in case the computer gets stolen), recording and emailing video clips, etc.. It also keeps a log of activity. Cheap and effective.

Congrats on your apprehension...

/ Security Camera pays off
I am going to suggest to anyone to send me a PM and I can answer specific questions, I have tried to write what I know and it turns into pages of stuff. But I have a ton of sources and I am in the midst of upgrading my system from a simple one camera/computer to a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) with 4 cameras that I can access via the internet, and also keep the project under $400 that the boss allowed me to spend. The very big deal on this is that most DVR's that you can access over the internet cost 1K to get into. I found a deal on the net, and maybe it will work out for me (Will know on the 3rd of January).

This all said, I bought a camera at Home Depot. It cost under $50. No software. I ran its wire into the house and tried to get it to hook up to my computer. Problem is that most computers are not capable of taking in video from an RCA or BNC connector. So, I grabbed up an old DV to firewire converter and that got the signal into the computer. You can use an old Video Camera (old means a year or two). Most of them can hook to the computer and let you pass through video with the side plugins. I then downloaded securityspy software and set it up. There is a lot you can do with this type of software, including setting up your computer so you can view the camera live. You have to do a couple of things that are kinda technical, but they are easy to do and worth the effort to see the video live from anywhere in the world.

So, there is so much to look for. Here are some pictures of what a $50 camera will give you. It is not much, and this camera is a year old.

The 12/03 picture is of our thief

The 12/27 is of snow and our road.

The 12/29 is a current snap of the camera at night. It has only 6 little LED's so the night vision is really marginal.

I am replacing this camera with a $250 version Lots of LED's and a big color chip. I got the camera for $80 off of ebay. I am also setting up two $30 cameras that have less LED's and picture quality, but should be way better than this camera (again, ebay scores). Those will cover the front door and the carport. I will keep this current camera for another angle looking at another part of the property.

Like I said, PM me and I will be happy to help out. I don't want to get too off topic here at TBN...

Carl

Attachments

• Cedar Park  12-03 1024-50.jpg
    Cedar Park 12-03 1024-50.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,521
  • Cedar Park  12-27 1405-40.jpg
    Cedar Park 12-27 1405-40.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,304
  • Cedar Park  12-29 2121-29.jpg
    Cedar Park 12-29 2121-29.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,307
   / Security Camera pays off #9  
He deserved to get caught just because he wore a pink jacket.:mad:

/ Security Camera pays off #10  
Putrid pilfering pink parka'ed punk pinched purloining personal property!

Woodlandfarms film at 11:00.....

jb

But he did drive a nice car. Some states allow for the confiscation of vehicles used in the commision of a crime. Maybe take away momma's wheels from him? You can also possibly sue in civil court and have the cost of a full blown security system paid for as he is responsible for the theft of your security and well being.