scrap metal on farm

/ scrap metal on farm #1  

hernando

Silver Member
Tractor
dk 4510 kioti and a 450 case track loader
cleaning up the farm of all the parts trucks ...bits and pieces of scrap that i am never going to use ,,,loading it up and taking it to the recycler...is it more trouble than its worth ?? anyone have a idea on the price of scrap in the mid tennessee area...thanks for your time bruce

/ scrap metal on farm #2  
From what I have herd the price of scrap iron is paying out pretty good. I think it would be worth it if you don't have to take it very far.

At least the price is good in my area, and thats in central IL.

Scrap copper is paying really good here.

The price of all metals is up anyway, so I would guess that scrap would pay too.

/ scrap metal on farm #3  
Around here it will pay a bit if you don't tear anything up getting it loaded and hauled. A lot of the stuff we have laying around, I am just proud to have someplace to go with it. I think short iron hit about 4.50/cwt around here a while back.
Depending on what you have for scrap, how much and what kind of time you have, it can pay to separate it into several "categories". I would check w/ the loca yard and see what they are paying for short iron, long iron and the such. Seems the yard closest to me told me one time that have a couple dozen different categories the metal is sorted into. The less they have to mess with it, the more they pay you. But once again, what is your time worth?

/ scrap metal on farm #4  
Up here in the NW scrap steel is at about $100 a ton.
Proly worth hauling it!

/ scrap metal on farm #5  
There is good money in all kinds of scrap these days. Old car/truck batteries are bring a nice price. (They need the lead to shoot at Iraq's with!)

Aluminum is 90 cents a pound here. Cast iron is bringing good money, etc.

Look at it as getting paid to clean up your farm.

/ scrap metal on farm #6  
I took some scrap to PA recently got $6/100lbs for scrap. Aluminum was .50/lb.

M.D.

/ scrap metal on farm #7  
My friend just scrapped out trailer loads of cars from his junkyard. He got $180 a ton. Made enough to get a 30 horse Kubota with a backhoe.

/ scrap metal on farm #8  
I have been cleaning out scrap on the farm for over two years now.

At first I had a journey man take a few loads.

Then I started hauling it myself.

I separate as best I can, steel, aluminum, unidentified, etc.

Then carefully load and take to the recyclers. It is not worth my time, but it is extra cash, so I try and make the trip worthwhile.

Prices vary, sometimes week by week.

Good luck. Be safe with it!

-Mike Z.

/ scrap metal on farm #9  
There are scrappers that will come to you and clean it up and pay you for it. It may not pay as much but it also won't use up your time. Call the yards they will tell you who to call. The guy that I used picked it up and hauled it and paid me $85. a ton. Hope this helps
Phil

/ scrap metal on farm #10  
Had an above ground pool made of aluminum Got tired of being the only one taking care of it and no one using it. Plus it was due for a new liner & filter. Got $240 for the scrap:) -Ed