Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Trusses for a traditional style barn?

Me and my wife have been considering building a barn on our new property this year. She insists on the traditional looking barn (red white trim etc). I do not want center poles and want an open floorplan for my tractor and musclecars. Anyone experienced with designing these trusses? I see the standard gabled roofs used quite a bit but not the old style. Not many of these styled barns around here. I'm looking at something in the 32x40 40x50 size range 10' walls.

Tractor
    Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor

Default Re: Trusses for a traditional style barn?

Try looking here Agricultural Building and Equipment Plan List you may find what you are looking for.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

We built one like that but smaller, 24' X 24' with a 24' X 16' room upstairs with a 7' ceiling.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

You can still buy this style of truss and for the cost I would just buy them instead of trying to design it.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433v

I built a regular pole barn that was 32x48 with 2' overhangs. Going 32'across was not a problem i sure you can find what you are looking for.

Shane

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    AC 5020, Gravely Com12, JD M, JD X300R, WH 16 Auto

Take a look at www.socketsystems.com, they show that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    Me and my wife have been considering building a barn on our new property this year. She insists on the traditional looking barn (red white trim etc). I do not want center poles and want an open floorplan for my tractor and musclecars. Anyone experienced with designing these trusses? I see the standard gabled roofs used quite a bit but not the old style. Not many of these styled barns around here. I'm looking at something in the 32x40 40x50 size range 10' walls.

I have some plans around here.. If I can find them I'll send you the web site I got them from. I'm thinking if I can buy them, it would be much easier then trying to build them. They're really not that complicated.

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY
    You can still buy this style of truss and for the cost I would just buy them instead of trying to design it.
    You are right on. Buy prefab trusses in this style and then build barn for the size of the truss. They are engineered right and will save a lot of time and labor building each truss.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by radman1
    You are right on. Buy prefab trusses in this style and then build barn for the size of the truss. They are engineered right and will save a lot of time and labor building each truss.
    And you are covered if the truss fails. If you build your own and make a mistake and your roof collapses you are stuck so unless you are confident in the design and your building skills I would not mess around building my own and I do this for a living.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda

Go larger. I recently completed a three bay, 40' x 40' garage with 12' ceilings. It filled up quickly with (just) a pickup truck, Suburban, tractor, and a boat (parked cross way behind my vehicles). My next one will be no less than 60' x 60'. I used engineered trusses and love the open space. You have the right idea there, indeed.

$0.02
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast