Out of Curiosity

/ Out of Curiosity #1  

ctjstr

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
Just out of curiosity. I'd appreciate hearing from folks who've done pole buildings, or any building with metal roof for that matter.

I'm currently in a bit of a contest with the contractor putting up my new 26 x 30 pole building. The ridge runs the 36' dimension,leaving the trusses to span the 30 feet, so the runs for roofing are around 18' including overhang.

Its built with a 4/12 pitch.

Here's the rub. I came home the other day and noticed that they put a seam in the roof, about 2' from the top. Obviously what happened is that they ordered the roof sheeting too short, probably forgetting the overhang. Its probably weather tight, but it looks dumb.

I went to the contractor and told him it was not acceptable; roofing is commonly available in 24' lengths with no extra cut charge and I want it fixed. His response was that there was no contract requirement that the sheeting be in continuous lengths and for me to pound sand. Well, he's right, its not in the contract, but who'd think to insist on that in a contract. Every roof I've seen has continuous metal on it. Other then the monster buildings, i've never heard of one with a seem across it.

So, my next approach is to tell him his work is not 'workmanlike' or up to the standards in the industry, and I'm not accepting it.

So, someone tell me i'm full of beans and that horizontal seems in pole building roofs are common.

/ Out of Curiosity #2  
He made a mistake and instead of talking to you about a solution decided to do this and hope you didn't notice.

On this size roof we would never put a seam in it. The roof is fairly flat and unless he is putting a quality sealant on the seam and a good lap there is a good possibility for leaking along this seam. This is why it is done in full lengths. We have had metal made in lengths over 24' as it depends on the company making the metal and how they are set up. Here we used a local Amish company and they could do around 30' or so and I can't remember but I think the one side of the roof we did was close to 30' and was a lot of fun to handle those size sheets. 3 guys on the roof staggered up the line and 3 guys on the ground to hand the sheets up. Tack the sheets in place and move to the next spot in time for the sheet to arrive.

As for how you will get your contractor to fix this I can't even begin to advise you except for you to contact a lawyer asap and do not pay him any more money until you have talked to a lawyer or your builder and came to an agreement. I do construction for a living and if we make a mistake like this we usually eat the cost unless the customer doesn't care and tells us to do it anyway. We don't push them in any direction, we just tell them the problem and the solutions and let them decide. But when it comes to steel we check the plans multiple times making sure the steel is ordered properly and have a good list so we know what goes where when it arrives. So far I only recall us making one mistake on a metal side and that was a piece ended up being a foot short on the gable end. The customer new it was just a 1'x1' triangle so he told us to put it on and be done with it. It was on the back side of the barn so he didn't care.

Mistakes happen and hopefully you and your builder can reach an agreement.

/ Out of Curiosity #3  
I'd also suggest filing a complaint with the BBB. I would ask the contractor if they will guarantee that the seam wont leak for the life of the roof, and get THAT in writing. I wish you luck, I've been there done that. Ended up having charges filed against me for failure to pay. I lost because it WASN'T in the contract. I learned a very valuable lesson from that. Any detail that you want to make sure is accomplished has to be in the contract, even simple things like seams in the roof.

Wedge

/ Out of Curiosity #4  
Can you find out the manufacturer of the metal and give them a call? They might shed some "official" light on the story.
David from jax

/ Out of Curiosity #5  
ouch.
good luck.
the only time I've put seams in a metal roof is when the owner was too cheap to spring for full length metal -- and I made them buy the materials for me to install.
having recently learned the hard way about unreliable contractors on the house I'm building, you have my sympathy!

/ Out of Curiosity #6  
wedge40 said:
I'd also suggest filing a complaint with the BBB. I would ask the contractor if they will guarantee that the seam wont leak for the life of the roof, and get THAT in writing. I wish you luck, I've been there done that. Ended up having charges filed against me for failure to pay. I lost because it WASN'T in the contract. I learned a very valuable lesson from that. Any detail that you want to make sure is accomplished has to be in the contract, even simple things like seams in the roof.

Wedge

While I think the contractor should have done the roof seamless, if it isn't in the contract spelled out then it is a live and learn type lesson we all learn. Filing a complaint with the BBB seems out of line for this type of problem. If it wasn't spelled out then how can you file a complaint?

We had one customer on a county rehab job we did threaten to file a complaint with the BBB on us because we refused to do extra work for him. This guy was so far out of line on so many objects that we eventually left the job as a result of his harassment. He paid $287 to the county rehab program and for the $287 he had his roof redone (remove 4 layers of asphalt, install OSB and reshingle), his side porch rebuilt from the ground up and a few other things were finished before we left. He wouldn't let us inside to do any of the interior work until we did extra work outside. He also didn't want a 3pc tub in his bathroom. He wanted a one piece which was physically impossible to get it in. Heck, it was going to be fun to get a 3pc into that corner where his bathroom was. When everything was not going his way he threatened us in multiple ways but some were the BBB, the county executive as well as other politicians. The county rehab program gave him back his $287 and told him to leave us as well as them alone and to stop the harassing phone calls (they were some dandy's).

Basically, the BBB isn't for filing a complaint to punish a contractor for no other reason then to punish him. It is for actual complaints like when the job isn't done according to the contract and the contractor refuses to make right. Or there are quality issues that are substantial problems and he refuses to make right.

I do wish the OP the best and hopefully he can get this settled. I would talk to a lawyer if the contractor won't work you on a solution but only to see what your legal rights are in this situation. Do not do anything to violate your contract and hopefully you guys can come to an agreement even if it means paying a little more if the contractor will replace the metal.

One other option is to have the contractor replace the top 2' of metal with clear figerglass. That will let a lot of light in and save on your electric bill:) Good luck to you though.

/ Out of Curiosity #7  
Yeah the contractor screwed up, he should take responsibility. He should at least fix the part that is visable. Some people don't want to admit when they are wrong, it sounds like he would rather fight about it.

Shane

/ Out of Curiosity #8  
I am wondering if the cut edge of the tin is going to cause a rust layer down the road, since only the outsides of the tin are galvanized and the cut edge will not be as protected as the top surface?
I know I would be "Hot" about it if it were done on my roof!!!
David from jax

/ Out of Curiosity #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
While I think the contractor should have done the roof seamless, if it isn't in the contract spelled out then it is a live and learn type lesson we all learn. Filing a complaint with the BBB seems out of line for this type of problem. If it wasn't spelled out then how can you file a complaint?

We had one customer on a county rehab job we did threaten to file a complaint with the BBB on us because we refused to do extra work for him. This guy was so far out of line on so many objects that we eventually left the job as a result of his harassment. He paid $287 to the county rehab program and for the $287 he had his roof redone (remove 4 layers of asphalt, install OSB and reshingle), his side porch rebuilt from the ground up and a few other things were finished before we left. He wouldn't let us inside to do any of the interior work until we did extra work outside. He also didn't want a 3pc tub in his bathroom. He wanted a one piece which was physically impossible to get it in. Heck, it was going to be fun to get a 3pc into that corner where his bathroom was. When everything was not going his way he threatened us in multiple ways but some were the BBB, the county executive as well as other politicians. The county rehab program gave him back his $287 and told him to leave us as well as them alone and to stop the harassing phone calls (they were some dandy's).

Basically, the BBB isn't for filing a complaint to punish a contractor for no other reason then to punish him. It is for actual complaints like when the job isn't done according to the contract and the contractor refuses to make right. Or there are quality issues that are substantial problems and he refuses to make right.

I do wish the OP the best and hopefully he can get this settled. I would talk to a lawyer if the contractor won't work you on a solution but only to see what your legal rights are in this situation. Do not do anything to violate your contract and hopefully you guys can come to an agreement even if it means paying a little more if the contractor will replace the metal.

One other option is to have the contractor replace the top 2' of metal with clear figerglass. That will let a lot of light in and save on your electric bill:) Good luck to you though.

The contractor didn't follow best/normal business practices, if the OP and the contractor can not resolve this, then he should file a complaint with the BBB. There may never be a satisfactory resolution, but if nobody ever files with the BBB this contractor will go on his merry way doing what ever he wants and getting away with it. Its one of the few ways I know to let other people know about shoddy workmanship. I can almost remember the day when the contractor would have been embarrassed to even think about doing this, but today it almost seems to be the norm. I'm not saying all contractors are like this, but it sure looks like there are more of these then honest ones. Just my 2 cents.

/ Out of Curiosity #10  
wedge40 said:
The contractor didn't follow best/normal business practices, if the OP and the contractor can not resolve this, then he should file a complaint with the BBB. There may never be a satisfactory resolution, but if nobody ever files with the BBB this contractor will go on his merry way doing what ever he wants and getting away with it. Its one of the few ways I know to let other people know about shoddy workmanship. I can almost remember the day when the contractor would have been embarrassed to even think about doing this, but today it almost seems to be the norm. I'm not saying all contractors are like this, but it sure looks like there are more of these then honest ones. Just my 2 cents.

My point is that a lot of people use the BBB as a way to try and strong arm a contractor. While I agree with the fact I would not do a roof this way if it doesn't leak then is it really a shoddy job? I am not trying to defend this guys work only the fact that having an idiot threaten us with the BBB angle is something that we do not take lightly. If there is a problem where the roof leaks or isn't what was wrote up and the contractor refuses to address the issue then yes, you report him but hopefully the OP and his contractor can reach some sort of an agreement.

One thing I will say is the OP should also talk to the building inspector and ask him about this problem and ask if the contractor has done something like this before. I really do hope the contractor will fix this roof and if this was something we would have messed up and ordered the wrong size steel we would have discussed it first and if the owner didn't want a seam we would have used the steel on a project of our own instead of putting it on and filling the steel with holes and making the owner upset.