lets talk impact wrenchs

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #71  
CATMAN said:
This is called a torque/turn method. My 3/4" Blue-point impact with a 3/8" hose can completely "turn" this bolt to its final spec.

So you used an impact to do the final turn? That's not a no-no? We were instructed to never use an impact on torqued bolts.

The torque/turn method is what we used on "stretch bolts". You must replace them after every torque.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #72  
RobJ: I hear what you are saying. These main bearing cap bolts usually end up in the 600-750 lb ft range. There are certain engines that require new main cap bolts each time(per CAT engineers) but currently most do not. This is changing as engines are getting lighter in weight and smaller bolts are being used to handle these same stresses(or as HP/torque increases on that same-sized engine).
Now, as for the great debate on using an impact for the last turn method; on one hand, you have teachers and some engineers=no impacts! On the other hand, you have "generations of mechanics" and some engineers that say it is acceptable and have well over 45 years experience in "real life" without problems(older mechanic's that taught myself). Next, you factor in "flat-rate" times (called TRG=time requirement guidelines) that those same "no impact" engineers come up sitting behind a desk and you too will use real life experiences as your guide.​
Actual, things have change a little on the impact issue(in some areas), an example is the new C-12 head gasket procedure. It is a torque/turn method w/ new bolts, then RELEASE/LOOSEN all bolts, then torque/turn again for final torque. CAT engineers have all said the use of impacts or totally ACCEPTABLE(in this procedure). If you think about it, head gaskets are one of the real critical areas that was always "Torque wrench only" in the past.
I mention one other area that differs greatly between teachers/engineers and real-life. This involves hand polishing of crankshaft journals when there is just a slight bearing material adhered to the journal itself. CAT trained instructors say that the complete engine must be torn down and a CAT reman crankshaft MUST be installed BECAUSE NO ONE can provide the surface finish that CAT can!!! If every mechanic was to follow this, you wouldn't have any customers(they'd go broke). In real life, many times you can WET hand polish this material off (less than an hour or two) and install new bearings, and that engine will live for many years without any bearing failures. Sure there are times where the adhesion won't polish out and you are forced to install a reman crankshaft, but you should always try a salvage it for the customer before you just blindly condemning it.​
Also, remember who makes a profit by the sales of parts(CAT & Dealer) but who might lose the customer if you constantly over-repair(mostly Dealer).

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #73  
Yeah a lot of new procedures, these days I just go by the manual since I just do it in my spare time now adays. I have polished a journal or 2 or 3. My BIL keeps running his JD 350 out of oil. Bearing material is much softer than the crank. Lets see time before last it put a hole in the block, he patched it but didn't tighten the rod bolts correctly (who needs a torque wrench and spec anyway!!). Then we installed a used engine. Its down again below a pond dam broke again. I give up, heck I can rent a good dozer that works for less trouble if I need it!!

Back on impacts...not air but I find these REAL useful many times. I kept forgetting to take a pic of mine, but it looks just the same.

Rob

17535.JPG

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #74  
CATMAN said:
I'm currently looking at IR2135QTiMAX for $250.
Where are you finding that gun for that price? That is the gun I am looking at, but have not seen it for that low of a price anywhere. I bought a Stanley Professional model, rated at 500ft/lbs. Direct connection with 3/8" tubing, no quick disconnects, it would not loosen the wheel lug nuts I put on a month ago, tighten with the 8" lug wrench that came with the car. :( I should have known better, it was only $80. It was returned the same day.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #75  
IXLR8 said:
Where are you finding that gun for that price? That is the gun I am looking at, but have not seen it for that low of a price anywhere. I bought a Stanley Professional model, rated at 500ft/lbs. Direct connection with 3/8" tubing, no quick disconnects, it would not loosen the wheel lug nuts I put on a month ago, tighten with the 8" lug wrench that came with the car. :( I should have known better, it was only $80. It was returned the same day.

How much air tool oil did you put into the air intake before using that Stanley impact?

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #76  
I put in what the instructions said to, then pulled the trigger as gently as possible to give the oil a chance to work it's way around and not just get immediately blown out.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #77  
IXLR8 said:
Hi There IXLR8; The website that I purchased from is called; thetoolwarehouse.net . Please note: This is such a new product to their site that it won't show up normally, you must go to the upper right and corner (at the search function) and entry the exact model number:2135QTIMAX , then hit enter. This is probably the forth or fifth time I have purchased from this site and have never had a problem. I actually e-mailed them about this model before it was available, and they e-mailed me back when they finally got it available.Search Results for: 2135QTIMAX

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #78  
RobJ; Those impact drivers for phillips head screws are a life saver, when the screws are really stubborn or rusted into place. Note: Your BIL must be getting a pretty good labor rate from you.:D My dealer charges $110 per hour for in-shop service, but the foreman tries to flat-rate what he can on similiar jobs. Basically, if you just keep busy at a reasonable pace, then everything usually works out pretty well.

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #79  
CATMAN said:
Hi There IXLR8; The website that I purchased from is called; thetoolwarehouse.net .
Thank you. Have you had a chance to put this gun 'to the test' yet? If so... how well does it work?

/ lets talk impact wrenchs #80  
IXLR8; No, not yet. I have only loosen 1/2" NC bolts and nuts,so far. It did those instantly. Lately, I haven't done any big jobs or "rod and main bearing roll-ins". Lots of these later(newer) engines are just spend troubleshooting and changing small parts or sensors. It is when the older engines come into the shop(if I get put on that job) that the "test" will happen. One of the other mechanics has the Non-quiet(standard) model. He listened to mine today, and wished he had the quiet model also. At less then one week's use, I am currently happy with it so far.