Yard Light Pole Installation

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Must not be asking search question right. Can't find anything on how it errect a pole. Planning on two 25ft yard light poles and need ideas on how get them in the hole. I have fel and time.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #2  
The traditional method is to dig the hole to depth, then elongate the hole on one side maybe 10' or so, kind of like a ramp. roll the pole in position with the butt at the edge of the hole and slowly raise it into place. The FEL would make it easy, hold it plumb and back fill.

An old electrician will likely be along to clarify this, but that's how it was taught me and it works.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #3  
yer gonna need help too. What I did ..... 3 of us stood the pole upright...then I slo-o-owly drove my FEL up to it with the FEL raised to about 6ft....we then chained the pole to the FEL and the other 2 fellas held it as I raised it ever so slightly and moved it ever so slowly to set it in the hole that was right there. The one big worry that I had was having that darn pole move from upright and flip in any direction at all.....if it had it woulda took me with it. A better and certainly safer solution might be to set the end at the hole, then have a couple of guys hold the end from sliding and use your FEL to lift it into the hole. call me if you need another body - I'm not available this weekend - but any other should be OK. PM me.
davitk was replying the same time as me .... there ya go -- he's got the right answer....my offer of help still stands. But I'm moving my tractor from Bastrop to Angleton this weekend.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #4  
On my light poles, I just pick up the pole with my fell and a strap wrapped around the pole. When I get to the hole, I lower the pole until the end that I want in the hole is kinda in/over the hole. Then I lift the other end of the pole until it falls into the hole. I've done five like this by myself.

Eddie

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #5  
Be carefull. Those things and mobile homes attract Tornados.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #6  
I used 2" pipe. I put a piece about 5' long in a hole with a tee and a union on it. I ran wire up to where it came out the tee. I concreted it plumb. I then took a 21' piece with the light on it and stood it on the union and tightened it . I can now take it down any time the light burns out.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #7  
I put up a 12m steel lightpole on my own using my 4WD and a gin pole. My pole had a hinge on the base but the theory is the same. Dig a hole larger than the pole diameter and put a board in it to guide the base into the hole. Attach a rope to the top of the pole and over the gin pole. Have a rope either side of the light pole to stop sideways movement. By pulling on the lift rope, the pole will lift to vertical and your helpers will steady the pole while you fill in the hole.

It may also be that your FEL in its raised position will give the same effect as the gin pole. Make sure your tractor is heavy enough to do so safely.

Cityfarma

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #8  
I used 2" pipe. I put a piece about 5' long in a hole with a tee and a union on it. I ran wire up to where it came out the tee. I concreted it plumb. I then took a 21' piece with the light on it and stood it on the union and tightened it . I can now take it down any time the light burns out.

Hi,

I just joined this forum while searching for yard light pole ideas. Your posting sounds interesting. I hope you will reply to my questions.

Is your tee in the concrete base or is it above that? I am having a problem visualizing this.

How high above the ground is your union the pole attaches to?
Where do you keep slack wire so you can remove the pole and lay it in the ground?
I want a 20 foot tall pole. Is this too long for 2" pipe and easy putting up or down the lamp and pole?

Is what you wrote working OK for you, or would you modify the design in any way.?

Thanks.

Tom

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #9  
You could also hinge it on a bolt. Two posts in the ground spaced by the diameter of the pole with two bolts through it - like 1" or so - one on the bottom, one on the top. The pole will hinge on the bottom bolt and you can lift it and drop it as needed.

/ Yard Light Pole Installation #10  
With the pole(head assembled and wired) laying on the ground put a sling around the pole just above the halfway or balance point. So that when you pick it up with your backhoe, the end that goes into the ground tips down and just plant her.