Tree clearing - what does it cost ?

/ Tree clearing - what does it cost ?
radman1 said:
What do you plan to do with the land? Farm it, pasture, clear it for esthetics etc. How big are the trunks in diameter? Is it a forest of cedars or just trees scattered around?

We plan to use the land for recreation for the most part, but will do what is necessary to keep my "ag exemtion". May plant costal bermuda etc. in the open areas. lease for a few cows etc.

The cedars are scattered and some or mixed in with other trees. Trunk size varies small to maybe 6-8 " in diameter. I was thinking about hiring someone to remove the cedars by any means necessary and practical.

/ Tree clearing - what does it cost ? #12  
G McCall said:
We plan to use the land for recreation for the most part, but will do what is necessary to keep my "ag exemtion". May plant costal bermuda etc. in the open areas. lease for a few cows etc.

The cedars are scattered and some or mixed in with other trees. Trunk size varies small to maybe 6-8 " in diameter. I was thinking about hiring someone to remove the cedars by any means necessary and practical.
From what you describe, it seems like removing the stump/roots are not an issue. I have about 120 acres of pasture and do work for others. In my area, we use a tree shear. I have a dymax ranch ax tree shear mounted on a bobcat. I bought the shear last year. I just recently started on my pasture. IMHO, dymax makes the cadillac of shears. It is a 1600# tank and I sometimes use it like a bulldozer or grapple. It will cut 14" cedars with no problems and 10" hardwoods. Larger trees require 2 cuts at 90 degree angles. It will cut them flush at the ground so you can mow later. If the cedars are cut with no remaining branches, the tree dies and will not grow back. I spray the hardwoods trunks with Pathway or Toradon and they will not grow back. A 2 gallon tank is mounted on the shear and a electric pump sprays the stump after I cut off the tree. The trees than can't be reached with skid steer are cut off with chain saw. Depending on terrain and tree density, I can do about shear 50 acres in about 2 days. If you want the trees in piles to burn later, the skid steer can stack them in several piles after cutting or you can drag or haul them into a pile. It can take as long or longer to stack them. If you have a tractor and FEL with grapple, you can easily do it yourself. Or you can drag the big ones with the tractor and haul little ones in a trailer and pile them. Cedars are relatively light for their size. Any remaining or new, small cedars can be later mowed with brush hog type mower.
Most skid steer operators charge by the day/hour rather than the job. I am sure there are guys that do that in your area. Mulching has the advantage of not have to dispose of the tree later. However, mulching requires expensive heads, big skid steers and slower. Cost for mulching is much higher.

I would not use a bulldozer. It tears up the ground too much in a pasture, slow and still requires getting rid of the trees. Back hoes are way to slow. You can pull them out with a 100 hp tractor and chain but also a slow process for lots of trees and some of the larger ones will be difficult to pull. Bulldozer and backhoe/excavator will remove the roots/stump but in your case, that is probably not necessary.

IMHO, trees shears were designed for cedar removal in pastures. Call your local skid steer dealers or ask others who have pasture. Usually someone knows a tree shear operator.

/ Tree clearing - what does it cost ? #13  
Had one more thought. Sometimes, the NRD will pay in our area, to stack the sheared trees into piles and leave them for habitat. No need to burn.

/ Tree clearing - what does it cost ? #14  
I think a lot of the price depends what part of the country you are in - One thing you can be sure of is the cost is not going to get cheaper, The price of diesel is not going to come down - Last year I had land cleared at $600 - I'd go a per acre route rather than a per hour route - So you know what it will cost you - And if they break down or whatever, it's not on your dime.