How do I use a cultipacker???

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Guys, My extension agent recommended I get a cultipacker to firm the seed bed of this FL sand - I can find all kinds of articles that say "use a cultipacker" but nothing says how to use it. I think after disking, I cultipack - Then I broadcast seed and cultipack again.

My quesiton is this "Do, I cultipack in same direction when covering the seed?"

or do I go perpendicular when covering - Or do I over lap by 1/2 a row - I'm going to have a lot of money, in lime, seed, fert. etc and I need to do the best job I can.

I know I could just ask the extension agent, but getting a call into these guys is like pulling teeth !

Thanks for your help!

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #2  
I'm in clay soil, so good chance things are a little different, but here, we'd disc to an acceptable seedbed finish, sow seed, THEN cultipack one time, usually in the same direction as we disc, but there is no magic formula. Grass likes a good firm seedbed with no air pockets.

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #3  
If you have enough HP on the tractor, you can pull the cultipacker behind the disc. We ran this combo at about a 15 degree angle to the direction we expected to seed. This tends to break up more clods and make it easier to see where you are going when you are seeding. We built a rack on the back of the cultipacker and filled it with rocks as we worked the ground as quickly as possible, as this made the 'packer break up the clods and push small rocks in better. As far as packing after seeding, run as lightly as possible. you want to firm the soil and ensure good seed-to-soil contact, but avoid any unnecessary compaction.

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #4  
Farmwithjunk said:
I'm in clay soil, so good chance things are a little different, but here, we'd disc to an acceptable seedbed finish, sow seed, THEN cultipack one time, usually in the same direction as we disc, but there is no magic formula. Grass likes a good firm seedbed with no air pockets.

Just out of curiosity, what type of cultipacker do you use?

I'm looking for a used cultipacker and noticed that there seem to be several versions.

The Schmeisers appear to have an undersized central shaft so the rings can move up and down as well as rotate. I guess this helps when compacting uneven ground.

Other types like the ones on Brillion seeders appear to have the rings on a full size central shaft so they rotate but can't move up and down.

Any comments on advantages/disadvantages is appreciated.

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #5  
Use the cultipacker in the same direction you disked. I use it for any seed that needs good soil contact for germination. One trick I've found is to also use it in the garden, pull it through and the indentations left are great for dropping seeds into, you can then just kick the soil over them with your boot.

With the bad back I have I also use a 4' piece of pipe and drop the seed down the pipe right into the depression, kick the dirt over it and firm it in. This method makes for nice neat rows that I can run the cultivator through easily.

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #6  
The function of cultipacker is primarily to improve soil contact with the seed, and to firm the soil to improve soil moisture holding capacity. This is especially important in sandy soils. So you don't want to cultipack before you seed. As has been mentioned here, most folks generally run the cultipacker in the same direction that you disked or seeded. You only need to overlap enough to ensure full coverage.

Seedbed prep has a lot to do with what you're planting - are we talking about a pasture? Broadcast or drilled? Overseeded or fully renovated?

I was an extension livestock agent in SW FL for 13 years and still work for IFAS. Who's your agent? - I'll get on his case! :D

/ How do I use a cultipacker???
Thanks for the replies - It is going to be horse pasture - With Broadcasted Tifton 9.

5 1/2 acres of Tifton 9 are in the ground today - I ran the cultipacker over the seedbed - I was suprised at how much seed is still on top of the ground - Of course I'm in sand, which doesn't help - And we've had tons of rain in the last few weeks, but it was bone dry today - Rain is on the way though - So hopefully it pans out.

/ How do I use a cultipacker??? #9  
How much Tifton 9 did you need for the 5 1/2 acres?

I have heard that seed prices are pretty high this year.

Hope you got a good price!

Stu

Stu, I put down 21 pounds per acre. I contacted the COOP quite a while back and they sold it to me for $200 a bag - I think all of this stuff costs more later in the season - I think it's $249 a bag now - And likely will be $300 a bag later. I think you can get buy with fewer pounds per acre with a good seed bed, but my seed bed is not perfect - Dealing with sticks etc.