Stuck in the mud

/ Stuck in the mud #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Well, I finally did it. I stuck the Big Red Beast good.:mad: All the way up to the axles. All 11,100 pounds.:eek: The backhoe frame was sitting in the mud. When I deployed the backhoe bucket to lift the rear end up out of the mud. The bucket just went down into the muck. My neighbors came over to help. We threw boards under the BH bucket. Between the BH bucket and stabilizers, I got the rear end up out of the muck high enough to throw more boards under the tires. Then I raised the front end with the loader bucket and did the same under the front tires. We had to do this 3 times. After the first time, all my boards had dissappeared. So we started cutting down 4-5 inch trees in 2 foot lengths to throw under the tires. After the first try we had water appearing. I was concerned because we were scheduled for scattered thunderstorms. We didn't get the storms and after two hours of thrashing in the mud, the Beast walked out under her own power. Two mistakes I won't make again. I won't try to back out, as that dug in deeper. The front loader wanted to pull her out, but the BH frame just drug deeper. Don't use the stabilizer if you can. These just take up boards under them and time. Lift the rear end with the BH bucket alone if you can. But the Big Red Beast was so low, I had to use the BH bucket and stabilizers to raise her.
I had my camera hanging from the ROPS for blog photos. But I was too concerned in getting her out of the mud to remember to take photos!:( So now I just have a photo of the mud hole.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 3-30-08 Mud hole that tried to swallow my 6520.jpg
    3-30-08 Mud hole that tried to swallow my 6520.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 825
   / Stuck in the mud
ragkar said:
Boy, you got yourself in a heck of a mess.
Yes, I did.;) But now she is washed off and every fitting regreased!:cool: Ready for next weekend now!:D
hugs, Brandi

/ Stuck in the mud #4  
Brandi,

If you were able to get out on your own, you were not stuck, just delayed!!!

Stuck is when you have to get another vehicle to get you out.

It does sound like you had some fun tearing up the ground. When I get delayed like that, I tend to remember those location very clearly every time I go by them. Of course, it could have been worse. Your Dad could have driven your tractor off of the road and into the drainage ditch off of the side, then destroy the road trying to get out before showing up at the house to tell you the tractor is stuck. That's a nightmare that I wont' get into. LOL

Eddie

/ Stuck in the mud #5  
I once crossed a trickling melt water stream in the back yard in late winter / early spring. Snow on a lot of the ground and frost 40" deep. Well, the trickle of water melted the frost in top 36" of soil. Crossed it with the tractor early in the AM the night formed frost broke thru and the tractro dropped to the frame. The FEL just pushed down. Put a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply out and the FEL just pushed it down with no resistance ! (yikes)

Dug trenches for the rear tires and pulled it out with 25' of strap to the back of the chevy.

Now, I don't go into places like that until the frost is gone!!

It's a real "sinking feeling"!

Was there a tree you could have chained the FEL to and used curl power to pull yourself out?

jb

/ Stuck in the mud
EddieWalker said:
Brandi,

It does sound like you had some fun tearing up the ground. When I get delayed like that, I tend to remember those location very clearly every time I go by them. Of course, it could have been worse. Your Dad could have driven your tractor off of the road and into the drainage ditch off of the side, then destroy the road trying to get out before showing up at the house to tell you the tractor is stuck. That's a nightmare that I wont' get into. LOL

Eddie
Eddie,
Well, I was stuck somewhere I didn't wanna be:( . How's that sound?;) Of course, I haven't drove into a lake either.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ Stuck in the mud
john_bud said:
I once crossed a trickling melt water stream in the back yard in late winter / early spring. Snow on a lot of the ground and frost 40" deep. Well, the trickle of water melted the frost in top 36" of soil. Crossed it with the tractor early in the AM the night formed frost broke thru and the tractro dropped to the frame. The FEL just pushed down. Put a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 ply out and the FEL just pushed it down with no resistance ! (yikes)

Dug trenches for the rear tires and pulled it out with 25' of strap to the back of the chevy.

Now, I don't go into places like that until the frost is gone!!

It's a real "sinking feeling"!

Was there a tree you could have chained the FEL to and used curl power to pull yourself out?

jb

JB,
I will try that next time. I did notice with the stabilizers down and curling the bucket to raise the front end, it did try to move forward.
hugs, Brandi

/ Stuck in the mud #8  
bindian said:
Of course, I haven't drove into a lake either.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,

I didn't drive into the lake, it opened up and sucked me in!!! :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

Eddie

/ Stuck in the mud
EddieWalker said:
Brandi,

I didn't drive into the lake, it opened up and sucked me in!!! :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

Eddie
Eddie,
Hehe. Was I talking about you?:D
hugs, Brandi

/ Stuck in the mud #10  
EddieWalker said:
Brandi,

Eddie

Hmmmmm, could we possibly be brothers?