Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive?

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #1  

dirtyb115

Bronze Member
Hi all. I am currently working on putting in a driveway on some property i bought. I wont be ready for a while yet to to actually lay gravel ect.. but the problem is, i have no where to park and i get stuck if its muddy and i dont have my 4 wheel drive. (decent incline from road). At any rate, i know creek gravel not generaly good for driveways b/c it doesnt compact well, but would it be okay to use temporarilly just for some traction and parking area? I have a small creek that i would like to make a bit deeper in parts and this would be a great way to get rid of the excess rock. In addition, would i be okay to leave it when ready for the actual drive and just lay my base and topcoat over it? (This is all assuming im even allowed to dig out the creek, have not checked yet). Thanks!

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #2  
Where I grew up only "rich" people had "white rock" driveways. Apparently, where I am now is much closer to a quarry, because there is much less of a price difference between crushed limestone and creek gravel.

I think you'll be fine using your creek gravel. It should make an excellent base for your drive when you get to that point. I'm just envious you have access to it on your place. Almost every neighbor around me has a stream that runs most of the time and has tons of gravel. I've got a dry wash that dries up 20 or 30 hours after the rain stops, and the bottom is solid limestone.

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #3  
I doubt that you will be able to dig gravel out of the creek bed if you go thru the proper channels. Now a days the DEP is cracking down on such projects. You can check though as the laws vary from state to state.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #4  
Don't know about OH or WV, but it is still legal in MO. You aren't supposed to actually get your loader in the creek, but if you can harvest it from the bank, and you're not selling it, you're OK in MO.

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #5  
Just a thought. You might do well to get s geotextile type of fabirc as an underlayment for the gravel. It costs about $380 a roll for several hundred feet at about 12 foot width. It will stop the gravel from disappearing into the ground according to what I have read. I am about to start my own driveway "rebuild" and this fabric is going down as soon as I remove the soupy, sandy, grit and so called gravel that is on my drive now to replace with proper crushed stone. I have put down more than 40 tons of processed gravel over the past eight years and as of today I reckon about half of it has sunk into the ground because I do not have a geotextile type fabric under it.

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #6  
keep us posted on this fabric stuff.....i have a 1/4 mile to possibly to do.......

good thread!

ccdck20hst said:
Just a thought. You might do well to get s geotextile type of fabirc as an underlayment for the gravel. It costs about $380 a roll for several hundred feet at about 12 foot width. It will stop the gravel from disappearing into the ground according to what I have read. I am about to start my own driveway "rebuild" and this fabric is going down as soon as I remove the soupy, sandy, grit and so called gravel that is on my drive now to replace with proper crushed stone. I have put down more than 40 tons of processed gravel over the past eight years and as of today I reckon about half of it has sunk into the ground because I do not have a geotextile type fabric under it.

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #7  
The fabric under stone works great. I laid 260 feet 12 feet wide and put 8" of asphalt millings on top. Water runs off and shale stays put. I would have to believe that the weeds will be at a minimum this year also with the use of fabric.

Brad

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #8  
Who or what type of business carries the underlayment fabric? Ive got to do my driveway and I dont know who would have it.

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #9  
what about driving something heavy on it?

/ Creek Gravel / Rock as temporary drive? #10  
I run my diesel excursion with 20' loaded box trailer on it the oil delivery truck has been on it and it has left no ruts or visible damage to substrate. It was purchased at my local concrete plant who is also a highway contractor.

Brad