recommendation for a good tractor

/ recommendation for a good tractor #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
I would like for several people to let me know your experience with tractors and your use in cleaning creeks. Mine is 30 feet wide and maybe a 300 feet long then narrows down to several feet wide. It gets gravel everytime it rains hard. The main reason for buying any tractor is for cleaning the creek. I may rent something first or pay somebody to do the job then make my mind what would be the best buy. I know I need a 4x4 but I was looking at the L34 kabota. Anyway if you can give me your experience with your tractor and how it does in creeks. This would help.

/ recommendation for a good tractor #2  
Hope your creek has lots of gravel in it. You'd get stuck in my creek short of having a tracked vehicle. Even one with tracks might have troubles. Lots of silt.

You may need dual wheels all around.

Ralph

/ recommendation for a good tractor #3  
mechanic said:
I would like for several people to let me know your experience with tractors and your use in cleaning creeks. Mine is 30 feet wide and maybe a 300 feet long then narrows down to several feet wide. It gets gravel everytime it rains hard. The main reason for buying any tractor is for cleaning the creek. I may rent something first or pay somebody to do the job then make my mind what would be the best buy. I know I need a 4x4 but I was looking at the L34 kabota. Anyway if you can give me your experience with your tractor and how it does in creeks. This would help.

What are you trying to clean out of the creek bed? If you describe what you are trying to do, there is probably someone here that has already figured out how to do it.

I agree with the guy above, unless the streambed has a rock base or you live in a semi arid region where things get really really dry, even 4WD will get stuck to the point you better plan on buying two tractors. The second being much bigger to pull the first one out. I used to have a backhoe that was very handy for that purpose, don't ask how many times.

/ recommendation for a good tractor #4  
Mechanic,
I'm very curious what "cleaning the creek" actually means. My first thought would be clearing out debris (tires, branches, etc) but you mention getting gravel.

Do you mean it's filling up with wash off? If so, is cleaning the creek just a bandage? Maybe you need to address how it's getting in the creek unless it's all up stream and out of your control.

How deep would it be when you plan to clean it and what's the base? Just wondering if a tractor is the best tool... compared to a dozer or something.

/ recommendation for a good tractor #5  
Having no clue what your budget is...I would look for a used backhoe with the extendahoe feature. The last thing I'd think you'd want to do is try to drive a tractor though a creek.