Running water line to barn near house foundation

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #1  

toolnut

Hi All,

Now that spring is here I'm back on my 'project" of running water and electric to my barn.

One question that I thought someone here might have some experience with. How deep must I go in running a water pipe next to the house foundation, I'm located in SE PA. Normally, I believe the "frost line" is considered to be around 36" here, but I'm hoping that I don't have to go that deep running right next to the foundation. It's difficult to describe, but basically all the digging has to be by hand near this section of foundation, and since there is a deck overhead, it's a real pain since you can't stand up. Anyway... I was thinking that frost would be unlikely to go down 36" right next to the concrete wall as there will be some heat from the basement through the concrete wall. Just wondered if anyone had any real experience in this area, frankly I doubt we have had real frost down to 36" around here in a lot of years, but I could be wrong.

thanks,
Toolnut

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #2  
Can you exit the foundation in another location closer to where its heading to,avoiding the tough digging under the deck?

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #3  
1. Run the line inside the foundation.

2. Add dirt instead of digging a trench. There is more than one way to skin a cat, by digging a 12" trench and making a 24" mound on top of it you get your 36".

3. Dig a shallow trench and put insulation on top of it instead of dirt. Have to weatherproof the insulation, but this could be very easy.

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #4  
Whether you get a permit or not from the county; give their building department a call and ask what depth the frost line is at for your area. You can always add another 6" to a foot of trench depth and/or mound cover to insulate the pipe.

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #5  
Have you considered using some heat tape and insulating the line?:D :D

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #6  
You had better go the full frost depth, during a long cold winter frost will be there. Next to the house may be the last place to freeze, but that doesn't mean it won't. Adding dirt to get the 36" isn't quite so straight forward, either, as frost migrates sideways and a mound would be susceptible. Just bite the bullet and dig it :)

/ Running water line to barn near house foundation #7  
If you don't want it to freeze, go 6" below frost line. No real way to cut corners unless you want to dig it up again later - that would be annoying.

But if you don't use the water out there in the winter, you could dig a shallow line and blow it out with the air compressor every fall. Just don't forget like my brother did...