TLB vs. Oak Tree

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #1  

vic4news

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Here are some pictures of my preferred method of taking down a tree.

We had an oak tree that we wanted removed because we didn't like the location it was in.
We also wanted the stump removed.

(click on thumbnails)

If I have to remove a stump, I like to take the whole tree down using the backhoe.
Here I'm digging around the tree.

A closer look at the hole. Still need to go deeper to be able to push the tree over.
Even with all the roots dug out, it takes a lot of force to move the tree.

Here it is after pushing on it with the backhoe. You can see the bark rubbed off about 8' up the tree.
It's hung up on another tree which is another reason I wanted to use the hoe instead of the saw.
It's a lot easier to free the tree using the backhoe.

After a slight push from the side it's down.

Right in the path where I wanted it.

Now it's time for the saw. The stump is too big to lift using the hoe.
No problem, as I'm just going to bury it where it is.

All done.

Vic

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #2  
Very nice. I am often amazed at how such a large tree makes a pretty small amount of firewood. How long did the whole deal take?

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #3  
Outstanding post!

I'm getting ready to take down a tree myself (much smaller and out in the open, thankfully), so this was very timely for me.

One complication for me is that my tree is dead, so I'll be using a LONG rope tied to my pickup to pull the tree over, rather than pushing it with the hoe.

Thanks.

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #4  
Nice pics Vic...

Runner, add an extr 30' of rope...just to be safe!!

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #5  
RobJ,

Sounds like good advice that I will remember!

Thanks.

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #6  
careful! Dead trees kill.

remember that it will probably break in half, not pull the rootball out. Depending on how hard you pull you might have a flying log up in the air. That would be very exciting! In a bad way...

Long rope is good. so is gentle. I probably would rope too high in an effort to minimize breakage.

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree
RobJ said:
Nice pics Vic...

Runner, add an extr 30' of rope...just to be safe!!

Runner said:
Outstanding post!

I'm getting ready to take down a tree myself (much smaller and out in the open, thankfully), so this was very timely for me.

One complication for me is that my tree is dead, so I'll be using a LONG rope tied to my pickup to pull the tree over, rather than pushing it with the hoe.

Glad you guys enjoyed the post. This tree was good and healthy or I'd have used a rope as well.

Highbeam said:
Very nice. I am often amazed at how such a large tree makes a pretty small amount of firewood. How long did the whole deal take?

It took about 2 hours to take the tree down. But I was running at low rpms and taking my time. Took another couple hours to cut it up and fill in the hole.

I got two buckets full of wood out of this tree. It was mostly all trunk, hardly any branches. I'll chip the branches that are 3" diameter or less.
I'll probably get a third of a yard of chips.

Vic

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree #8  
This is interesting. I've taken down about 25 trees around my property but didn't first dig out around the stumps. Most of the trees uprooted on their own, but some snapped when being pushed on and left me with some stumps to dig up.

Did you tie the tree off or anything? I'd be afraid to be digging out all around the tree like that, fearing I'd take away too much earth and have the tree come falling down. I wouldn't want it falling on me, especially without a FOPS. What did you do to make yourself confident that the tree wouldn't decide to come down on you and your tractor?

/ TLB vs. Oak Tree
RayCo said:
What did you do to make yourself confident that the tree wouldn't decide to come down on you and your tractor?

Just from experience. The first time I tried this was on smaller trees using a B21 with a FOPS.

If the tree is smaller you can just dig the roots out from the front and back and leave the side roots as a hinge.

Larger trees need the hole dug all the way around. The first time you do it, you do have the feeling that the tree
is just going to fall over because it has no roots, but that root ball is heavy and you really have to push hard
on the tree to get it started. I wouldn't try it on a windy day, though.
Usually you have to dig pretty deep on the side of the tree of the direction you want the tree to fall.

Vic

Last edited: