Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ?

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ? #1  

G McCall

Bronze Member
I need to run a water line through the woods which has cedar trees and post oaks. I hope to rent a ditch witch or some type of ditching machine that will do the job. I believe I can get a ditcher through the (woods) path I have chosen.

Will tree roots be a big problem ?

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ? #4  
That was a good, informative thread.

I rented a walk-behind a few years ago to run a 1-1/2" water line to my garden(s) from the water well. It didn't take any time at all. It did chatter and bang a bit on the tree roots but went through them without a problem. I have a hard sandstone/siltstone layer about 6" to 18" below the surface and it went through that like the proverbial hot knife through butter. If I'd tried to do it by hand it would have taken me weeks and I'm sure I would have quit before it was finished. As it was, I dug the trench about 18" deep, laid the line, got it all connected up and backfilled easily in one day.

It's not that I'm particularly lazy but if I'd a trench to dig that was more than 10' long, I'd be down at the rental yard. Besides, they are a really neat tool to play with.

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ? #5  
G McCall said:
I need to run a water line through the woods which has cedar trees and post oaks. I hope to rent a ditch witch or some type of ditching machine that will do the job. I believe I can get a ditcher through the (woods) path I have chosen.

Will tree roots be a big problem ?

You don't have a location listed, so the depth of your trench might be very important. If you have a frost line, you need to be deeper then that.

You didn't mention how far you are going to run the line or the size of the line. If it's a large line, 2 inches or more, then you want pipe with rubber seals at the end. These are better on long runs, and mandatory on larger lines. Pipe moves around in the ground, since the ground moves all the time. To avoild breaks, the pipe with gaskets in the bell housing allow the pipe to slide in and out a small amount.

Is this a straight line or will there be turns? Will you have any other lines off of this line?

Are you trying to save the trees from dying, or just want to know if a trencher will cut through the roots? Just about any trencher will cut through the roots, rock is where you run into problems.

What type of soil do you have?

A walk behind trencher will dig a 4 inch trench two feet deep faily easily. I've done 1,200 feet in a day through the woods in clay, but it was a very long day. A ride along trencher will cost allot more to rent, but it will do allot more without the strain and physical labor that a walk behind requires.

If you want to save the trees, you need to keep your trench at the edge of the drip line. Just look up while under the trees. If you are under branches, you will be cutting roots. If you don't see branches above your head, you wont harm the tree. The closer to the trunk that you are, the greater harm you will cause the tree. Cedars are pretty hard to kill, oaks can be fairly easy to kill.

Always run Schedule 40 pipe. Thinwall will fail and leak on you. The reason I ran that 1,200 foot trench was because a one inch thinwall pipe was installed by the original builder. It had so many leaks in it that I couldn't find them. Lots of small leaks wont show above ground, but I was losing 10,000 gallons a month through them.

Use purple primer and clear glue. There are other glues, and they all have a special use, but clear glue is the strongest and in my area, the only type that's allowed. All other colors have been proven to fail.

Lastly, digging the trench is the easy part. Filling it in is where the real work begins!!!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ?
My land is near the Lake Whitney area and the soil is a Sandy clay type soil.
I ended up cutting two trenches 18-24" deep that together totaled about 140 feet.

I rented a Dingo trencher on rubber tracks which broke when I got it to my land before I got started. The starter went out on it. :rolleyes:

I called the rental shop and they sent a man out immediately too tell me the starter is out. I drove back to the shop and picked up the only trencher they had left. A Barreta brand I believe was the name and it was a smaller walk behind.
I can only say that I would not rent that unit again. It would not cut in a straight line and you would have to pick up and reposition the digger every 20 feet or so. The shop said to lock the axle when cutting but no straight line would it cut. Also, you can only get a 3" pipe in the hole which is alright for what I need.

It took about 3 hours to cut the 140 feet, but that included learning what would work for speed, depth etc. I need to mention, this unit would not cut big roots.

Thanks for all the advice.

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ? #7  
As others have said, soil conditions, depth, and total amount of trenching will all have a say in what machine would be best. For anything under about a thousand feet, I would suggest a Dingo with a trencher attachment, unless you need to dig deeper than 2 feet or are in extremely rocky ground. 3 years ago I put in an irrigation system and rented a big Vermeer walk behind. It did a fine job, but was not real maneuverable and the spoils diverter broke about a dozen shear bolts (lots of rocks). Last year I helped a buddy put a system in his yard. When I drove up and saw that little Dingo was what he had for trenching, I was sure that we were in for a rough day. On the contrary, the Dingo was easier to control than the big Vermeer, tracked a straight line better, and dealt with every rock we ran across (a lot) except the ones about the size of an end table top. The spoils diverter worked better, too. This spring I rented one to put irrigation into my raised bed gardens and to run a warm weather water line to my barn. I dug about 750 feet of trench 18 inches deep in less than half a day.

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ?
jeffinsgf,

750 feet in a half a day sounds good to me from my last experience.

I would like to have seen the Dingo trencher work. It just was not to be this time. I will have more trenching in the future.

/ Ditching through woods ( tree roots) ? #9  
Stand away from walk behind. Ihad a Dtch/witch 20-10 root bounce on me, thought it broke my leg(standing too close)Big-ole-nasty bruise.