Drainage- Trying to be a good neighbor.

/ Drainage- Trying to be a good neighbor. #1  

asylum575

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
Hello all,
I have a drainage problem where after a good rainfall, water pools and sits along the southside of my property as it meets with my neighbor. I live in a fairly residential area. I notice after a day or so when mostly everthing dries up at the point where my neighbor and I meet it is wet and continues down hill along the road. My solution was to dig a trench, probably 300 feet long from where the pooling starts down to the property line and send the water to the street and to the storm drain. Not sure how deep to dig, any suggestion? I will fill with 1 1/2 stone then fabric and soil.
This is where it gets sticky. I mentioned my plans to my neighbor, probably my first problem. She is an elderly widow. She was happy that I noticed HER problem and that all MY water came from MY property and onto hers. I explained that the water comes from behind me and is sitting on my property and that I would like to help it move along. The next lower storm drain is on the south end of her frontage. We meet on her north end. She pointed out that the water pools at the foot of her driveway and makes it dangerous to get to her mailbox when it all freezes up in the winter. I took a good look at the run and it does seem that the road bellies by her driveway and that any additional water I try to send to the storm drain will sit. I explained to her that pooling at her driveway was an issue between her and the town. I also got out of her that this has been a problem for some time. I moved in last summer and she was close friends with the previous owners.
She recommended a stone filled pit(well) on my property to catch the water. I have a BX24 and not sure If I could dig a big enough pit to solve the problem.
What do you guys think? I'm going to the town highway department and mention the belly in the road. If I can get them to repave and repitch the road or add a stormdrain at the low spot , it would solve the problem.

/ Drainage- Trying to be a good neighbor. #2  
We had some drainage issues in our neighbourhood. The developer and the township would do nothing. I did a bit of research and found that land drainage was a federal issue and standing water was not allowed. I made a couple phone calls and the problems were promptly resolved.
Do a bit of research and find out who's jusridiction this is in your area. Call them and let them pressure the town.

/ Drainage- Trying to be a good neighbor. #3  
Every state is going to be different, but a general rule of thumb is that you cannot change/increase the amount of runnoff that is sent onto a neighbors property.

From your description, you both have this problem, but if by fixing your problem, her's gets worse, then you will be at fault and liable.

Pictures would really help to understand the lay of the land.

Not knowing what it looks like, open ditches are the all time, proven method for moving water. The drawback is digging them and getting rid of the dirt. If it was me, I'd dig a very wide, and fairly deep ditch along your road to move the water.

Using pipes and gravel is an expensive way to solve it for the short term, but they always fill up with silt and stop working in time. It might be ten years, or longer, but it might be less too. It all depends on how fast the water will move in the pipes and through the rock, and how much dirt, dust and plant matter that you have that will plug up the system.

Open ditches are easy to maintain and you can see right away if there is a problem. If you make it wide, with a gently slope, you can mow it and have a very nice looking ditch. To me, a ditch can be a thing of beauty if done nicely. Just about every road built does this because it works, it's simple and it's effective.

Try not to get your neighbor involved. Anything that you do for her will involve a long term commitment. If you fix your problem on your land, then what happens on her land is her concern. If you fix the problem on both of your lands, then if she doesn't maintain it, or if for some reason, she or sombody else gets hurt on your improvement, you will be liable.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Drainage- Trying to be a good neighbor. #4  
Eddie is 100% spot on.
I've been there done that and probably fixing to do it agian with a new nieghbor.
I will add one more thing, technicaly you also can't change the the historic flow path, apply's more with creeks or water ways. I would proceed with caution and as Eddie stated, be a good nieghbor, but try to limit yourself with her. It's obvious you are trying to do the right thing, but things like this often will bite you in the arse.

One other thought, I had my AG agent out also the county USDA agent out and they are real good with issues like this, and they are free. They will be able to "see" the problem and make recommendations based on visual facts.