What to use for a sifter screen

/ What to use for a sifter screen #11  
Looks like you could offset a couple of layers of chain link to effectively close up the openings.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #12  
The ultimate would be a damaged piece of crusher screen. When a wire in them breakers they just change them out for a new one. Go to you local stone crusher yard and be will to pay scrap metal prices and they will more than likey give you 3 or 4 of them.

If you have a local stone quarry or gravel pit close by go to them. Anytime I need screens I go to my local . they must have 100 of them in their scrap pile and any time I just stop in and ask if I can go through their scrap pile. V

Thanks Deerlope and vettemanwight. I took your suggestion and picked up three screens that were in the scrap pile from a local quarry. They are going to be perfect for sifting soil!

I offered to pay scrap prices but the quarry manager just let me have them. He was good enough to get the bucket loader and move the scrap pile around so I could get choose the best ones. A real super nice guy to take time out out of his day to help me out. Being so helpful, I'm sure he must be a member of TBN:D

Each screen is 6 x 5 feet and weighs around 50 lbs. The screen openings are 1" square. I have built a frame out of 4x4's to hold the screens in place and the dirt will be "gravity" sifted. Basically the same design posted by Luremaker.

I will post pics when I finish putting the frame together.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #13  
My father and I built one a few years ago. We built it without the tractor next to it (mistake). The legs were appropriately sized for the bucket to scoop out the screened dirt. The back was high enough to allow a pile of rocks to build up (about 5-6' off the ground). The front was pretty high to allow for gravity to help with the process. We used 4X4 for the legs, and 5/4 decking (left over from replacing a deck), and two odd sized chain link dog kennel wall (they were the tops on a used kennel I picked up). We also used several of the 5.4 boards running from the high end to the low end (placed on edge) to support the center of the chain link.

We found our mistake on the first attempt to use the unit (I had a need for quite a bit of fill with 1 1/2" minus material). The bucket on the tractor did not travel high enough to dump the material onto the screen. We cut about 3' off the legs and it was low enough. Our tractor just did not work out well enough for this project to function as intended. I dealt with large rock removal after spreading the fill. We have an excavator now, but no need for the screen at this time.

Mike