What to use for a sifter screen

/ What to use for a sifter screen #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
There are many threads in these forums about building dirt sifters, and it seems that many people have used chainlink fence as the screen. Everyone seems to have conveniently has some lying around, found some on Freecycle, or happened upon someone giving some away. I haven't had this luck, so I'd consider buying the best material.

What should I get? I'd like to get the dirt as close as possible to be ready to be spread for new grass seed. I was half tempted to just angle my trailer gate and use that. Then I'd even conveniently have all the large rocks on my trailer ready to be taken elsewhere. But, I'd probably destroy the gate. The chainlink fence I saw at Lowe's the other day was real thin, 12 gauge I think. Any advice? Also, it seems that chainlink fence wouldn't screen finely enough, but I also don't want something that leaves me with a teaspoon of dirt out of each loader-full. What's the best compromise? Thank you.

Last edited:
   / What to use for a sifter screen #2  
Go to your local fence installer and ask for take-off gates, and they come with a frame and they should be strong and well built and most of all cheap :D
:)

/ What to use for a sifter screen #3  
If it's really rocky I would see if one of your box stores have a damaged gate, or try a metal recycle yard for chain link or other suitable grate.

If it isnt rocky you might try to find some 1/2" wire.

Get some 2/4's and build a frame, smaller frame for thin smaller mesh. Then place over a wheel barrow and start "tossing" dirt. When it's full enough go do some dumping!

/ What to use for a sifter screen #4  
If you have a local stone quarry or gravel pit close by go to them. Anytime I need screens I go to my local . they must have 100 of them in their scrap pile and any time I just stop in and ask if I can go through their scrap pile. V

/ What to use for a sifter screen #5  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1405042-post1.html
RayCo said:
There are many threads in these forums about building dirt sifters, and it seems that many people have used chainlink fence as the screen. Everyone seems to have conveniently has some lying around, found some on Freecycle, or happened upon someone giving some away. I haven't had this luck, so I'd consider buying the best material.

What should I get? I'd like to get the dirt as close as possible to be ready to be spread for new grass seed. I was half tempted to just angle my trailer gate and use that. Then I'd even conveniently have all the large rocks on my trailer ready to be taken elsewhere. But, I'd probably destroy the gate. The chainlink fence I saw at Lowe's the other day was real thin, 12 gauge I think. Any advice? Also, it seems that chainlink fence wouldn't screen finely enough, but I also don't want something that leaves me with a teaspoon of dirt out of each loader-full. What's the best compromise? Thank you.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #6  
The ultimate would be a piece of expanded metal.

I am going to use 1.5" raised expanded for my top (coarse) screen, and then 3/4" or even maybe 1/2" as the finish screen.

I beleive you are correct, chain link is going to be a very Coarse screen.
If you have rocky soil, or a lot of rubble and sticks, it's gonna help as your first sift, but you will want finer fines than chain link can provide.

If you are using your sifted soil for a seed bed, 3/4" would be considered Coarse, 1/2" would be about Medium for that purpose, and 1/4" would be Fine.

1/4" is what they typically use for adding soil to existing golf greens, so, don't feel like you have to go that small. Without a vibratory mechanism, 1/4" is going to be tough to deal with. In fact, so will 1/2" unless you plan to lose a lot of it off the end with the spoils.

iI you can find some 3/4" expanded metal (4' by 8' sheet of it) that is probably the ballpark you are looking for.

Also, like Mr. Jimi said, you could get a chain-link gate, already made up.
After using it for your Coarse screen, then over-lay some 3/4" or 1/2" rodent wire (hardware cloth) found at your local Box store by the roll.

if you don't have a lot of rubbish and rocks in your dirt, then start with the chain-link topped by chicken wire (poultry wire). That will give you a Finer first screening and make any successive smaller screenings a bit easier.

Mileage may vary based on the dirt/soil you are starting with.

Don't be afraid to add amenities as you screen, topsoil, humus, compost, leafgro, compro, aged manure, etc. It's a great way to mix them right into the finished product.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #7  
The ultimate would be a damaged piece of crusher screen. When a wire in them breakers they just change them out for a new one. Go to you local stone crusher yard and be will to pay scrap metal prices and they will more than likey give you 3 or 4 of them.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #8  
Anyone every used this Bradco rock bucket:

Commercial & Industrial Equipment

click on "Bradco" on left side of page, then "compact tractor attachments" then "rock buckets"

If so, what sort of results did you have with it. Thanks

/ What to use for a sifter screen #9  
RayCo, I like the expanded metal idea SkunkWerX detailed. I was just sifting soil yesterday and decided I needed a faster way to get the job done without spending too much cash. I'm currently using a chain-link gate with an additional layer of 1/2" hardware cloth on top. It works, but it's flimsy. As a replacement, came up with the following (yet to be built).

Using 1-1/2" (or so) angle iron, weld up a frame (4 sides) that fits over the mouth of the FEL bucket. For my BX24 that would be about 48" x 21-1/2". On the inside of the frame weld in some expanded metal. Frame might need 2 additional cross braces (21-1/2") depending on how rigid the expended metal is.

To operate:
- Load FEL bucket with soil, not heaped.
- Lay sifter frame over bucket, secure to bucket using 2 web straps.
- Slowly curl bucket down and up until most of soil sifts out.
- Remove straps, remove frame, dump dregs.
- Repeat.

It won't be real fast, but the tractor hydraulics will do most of the grunt work. I'll be able to sift soil right into the target area without double handling. Plus, storage of the screen will be no problem.

/ What to use for a sifter screen #10  
Rayco

check L B Metals

take 73 just past breezy corners turn left on hartz road they are on the right they are only open to noon on saturday

there stock changes but they did have expanded metal in the fall wheni need some steel.

tom