water pumps.....need to pump water from stream

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #1  

moloss

Silver Member
Tractor
share Kubota M6800
ok I need help......I would like to pump some water from a stream on my property to a pasture that I've cross fenced for cows.....anybody have any experience with pumps? thanks Chris.

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #2  
Is there anywhere on the stream that is higher than the trough sites that you can gravity feed from ? Is there enough wind to drive a windmill to supply a header tank ? Pumps are a pain in the butt .

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #4  
moloss- some questions>

Do you have AC power available?
How far and how high do you have to pump?
How much do you need to pump?

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #5  
Look into solar pumps. There are many and they work great.

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream
the stream is lower than the desired site....there is very little current in the stream (it dumps into the river about 100 feet from my property line)......we do get a bit of wind (might have to check into that)......I'm not sure about the actual distance, I want to cross a rectangular 17 acre field to get to another field (across width not length).....I don't have power but I was thinking of having a large holding tank and pump the water with a gas driven pump, I was looking to get enough water up in the tank for 40 cattle.

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #8  
How much head are you going to be pushing? Gas pump may be your only option.

The pipe will probably be the most expensive part of this deal, sounds like you gotta go quite a ways. I picked up a Honda wmp20 off craigslist for about $250. Moves 220gpm at full throttle, has a 2" outlet, runs about 4 hours on a tank of gas. Set up with quick disconnects so I can drop it off, hook it up and then put it away at night so it doesn't grow legs.

/ water pumps.....need to pump water from stream #9  
How far are you pumping the water? Depending where my cattle are, I have two options.

The first option is a pasture pump. It is a large diaphram pump that the cattle actually pump using their nose to push the lever that pumps the water. The pump only has about a 25' head, but will pump vertically over 100'.
My local conservation agent lent me one last summer, and when he took it back, I bought one on Ebay. It is amazing how fast the cattle learn to use this device. I guess thirst is a great motivator!

UTINA Cattle Operated & Powered Pasture Pump N.O.S. - eBay (item 110253615691 end time May-19-08 17:37:28 PDT)

I bought one from this gentleman and received an as advertised pump in a timely fashion. You will need to buy some black poly water line at your local hardware store. It is available in rolls of 100' - 300'. You will also need to buy some BIG timbers to attatch the pump to. I drove a fence post into the bottom of my pond and attatched the pump intake to it. No more cattle in the pond ruining the banks and contaminating water.

My back pasture has no access to water and no power available. Bad combination. I use three 75 watt solar panels and a Solar Force pump to pump water up a 150' hill to a 1200 gallon tank. Water is gravity fed through 2100' of 3/4 inch water pipe to the back pasture. Pipe is not buried, so it is a 3 season system. Make sure you pay attention to pipe friction and the height of your holding tank if you opt for this setup. This system was also spendy, about $3000 two years ago. I already had the panels, and that reduced the cost some. It still beats option 3, which I did, filling a 350 gallon tank from the well, hauling it on a trailer to the cattle, and attatch it to a stock tank and float valve.

Good Luck!