Automatic Insect Control ( spray systems)

/ Automatic Insect Control ( spray systems) #1  

cmuncy

Silver Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 300DTC
After taking a broom to my wrap around porch for the umpteanth time followed by the pressure washer, I'm ready for a spray control system.

Being that I have almost 400' of porch, I'm getting quotes that are approaching $3000.00. Most of that is in the spray tips and high end pump.

Has anyone ever built their own system? It doesn't seme like it would be that complicated technology wise, other than the labor for the spray nozzles and securing the tubing up.

/ Automatic Insect Control ( spray systems) #2  
Are you just looking for flying insect control? If so.. why not just run to a feed store and buy those units that hang on the wall and take a D battery and a can of metered fly spray.. They cost anywhere between 20-30$ each and cover a 'zone' of area... sprays can be set as much as every 15m oor as low as per hour usually... cans usually have hundreds of metered sprays.. battery lasts a year in mine for my horse barn.

Another similar option is that home air freshners have gone this route.. My wife brought home some.. they are a simialr but mor e'home-like' look instead of plain and boxy.. they take 2-AA batteries and remarkably, used a SAME SIZED can of freshner as the fly spray cans... next time i have to replace a 20$ fly sprayser.. I'm going to get one of the 9$ home sprayers and slap a can of fly spray in it and save some $$.

If you put them as much as 20' centers.. you'd be talking less than 600$ of materials to hand them.. and ? 20$ in batteries.. the spray cans usually hit 6$ each.. but last a couple months depending on use.. might be cheaper to piee it that way than a full blown system that you still have to buy bulk consumables for. For areas not in use you could just turn those units off.. or if one dies.. you don't loose a huge area.. etc..

soundguy

/ Automatic Insect Control ( spray systems)
Interesting...

I'm not really having an issue wit hthe flying bugs as the bats take care of them, but the spiders are getting bad.

I do like that idea though...