PTO Shaft for brush hog question

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question #1  

cmuncy

Silver Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 300DTC
I broke the yoke on my howse 5' deck and it appears I'll need to replace not only that, but the u-joint, and the yoke welded on to the triangle shaft heading towards the pto.

The yoke on the mower is 1 3/8" with a shear bolt.

If I can get the 2 yokes and u-joint without replacing the entire shaft that would be great. But I went to TSC and although they have a large selection of yokes and u-joints, how do I tell what joint to go with what yoke?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question #2  
cmuncy - Here is a very good web site to hang on to ... PTO Shaft also go to the Howse site and look up your parts in their parts section ... The Howse site is not a very well illustrated nor easy to find the parts sometimes but stick with it and I think you will get what you need from it … In all else fails you could just take your shaft to TSE and match your parts to theirs!
Leo

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question
Thanks for the links Leo,

Unfortunately taking the joint to tsc and matching it up would be kind of hard, as the joints are pretty "tweeked". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question #5  
Can you take the triangle shaft piece in to find the yoke that fits, and then just measure the OD of the smooth shaft ont he gearbox to get the correct shear bolt/yoke size..?

soundguy

I went to 2 TSC stores this past weekend: no luck.

I'm going to see if my dealer has at least the parts. I even checked my phd and the gearbox end is smaller than the brush hog.

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question #7  
Might try surplus center too.

soundguy

/ PTO Shaft for brush hog question #8  
Perhaps this chart can tell you what grade PTO shaft you have and go from there. To tell you the truth, I doubt you will save much by replacing just the yokes. You also may have stressed the shafts when the original failure happend. (see attached File). I thought most driveline yokes where pinned to the shaft, not welded.

regards, Phil C.

Attachments

• PTO_cross_chart.pdf
    231.9 KB · Views: 612
   / PTO Shaft for brush hog question #9  
cmuncy - Did you get your shaft repaired or did you just get another?
Leo

I'm going to swing by my dealer next week and pick one up. Looking at the pto end that joint is twisted as well. :mad: