Drip Irrigation

/ Drip Irrigation #1  

barrybro

Bronze Member
Tractor
1964 Ford 4000
Installing drip irrigation for the first time. I have 1 acre of pumpkins, gourds, etc... and about 250 mums I am planting.

I bought it from a place that does drip irrigation locally and they were very helpful. Are there any does and don'ts that anyone can think of?

/ Drip Irrigation #2  
Use a good timer and watch the great results.
:)

/ Drip Irrigation #3  
I don't know if this is relevant to your system. If the emitters or orifices are small, make sure you have good filtration in the water supply to keep them from plugging.

/ Drip Irrigation #5  
I took a tour of Kenland Farms near Blacksburg last week. They put their drip irrigation (actually a high tech drip line by KISSS) about 8" deep. Gets it out of the way of planter runs and tractor wheels. Also, below, it can't be carried away by a small flood, like mine was this spring.

They seemed to have quite a filtration setup on the line and timers on multiple circuits. Each circuit was turned on and off by a battery operated valve.

Ralph

/ Drip Irrigation
My system is very simple (no timers or fertigation systems) but it does have good filtration. I was able to get on section done last night. Had it on all night and it seems to have worked great. Water was dripping out and the ground looked soaked. I turned it off as we are going to get rain today.

This first section did an area for 250 mums. My next section is for approximately 1 acre of pumpkins, gourds, and squash.

Thanks!

Barry

/ Drip Irrigation #7  
barrybro said:
... and about 250 mums I am planting.

Please explain to the ignorant (me) what this means, I envisage lots of motherless kids.:confused:

Cityfarma

/ Drip Irrigation #8  
i use t-tapes under mulch plastic for my tomatoes and melons. with t-tapes pressure regulation is important or you can blow the t-tapes out. its very effective in putting the water right where you want it.

/ Drip Irrigation #9  
cityfarma said:
Please explain to the ignorant (me) what this means, I envisage lots of motherless kids.:confused:

Cityfarma

Chrysanthemums for you blokes down under. One of my best friends was from N.S.W.