DIY spray foam kits for metal shop?

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #1  

Chuck K.

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 M59 w/thumb
Looking for some advice on DIY spray foam insulation kits.. Any first hand expierence, brand, where to purhase and best bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated.. I searched the net and was somewhat overwhelmed by all the various suppliers..

Shop dimensions are 40'x60' 18' eves...

shop goin up 006.jpg

shop goin up 002.jpg

As always thanks for any help.. Chuck...

Last edited:
   / DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #2  
If its for foam insulation, I'd get a professional price on it. I tend to doubt its a DIY job, from seeing it done.

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop?
Yes its foam insulation, I edited my OP to clarify... Other than the PPE requirements curious as why only a pro. should do it? Trying to save a buck where ever I can, my BIL just built a shop as well. The thought was to split the rental of the equipment (he has manlift) do his and then mine...

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #4  
A slight digression; but where did you get your steel building from Chuck?

Eventually I'd like to go 40' x 60' with eave height to be determined.

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #5  
i was not aware that it was a DIY possible.

due to equipment involved... getting ahold of the chemicals (even if it is soy based with steam "activation")

the hose, the pumps, the sprayers....

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop?
mjncad said:
A slight digression; but where did you get your steel building from Chuck?

Eventually I'd like to go 40' x 60' with eave height to be determined.

I purchased through a local contractor with engineering in Ark. The building is from Heritage Building Co.

Deciding on eve height about drove me nuts... When I ordered the building I had future plans of buying another 5th wheel camper, I did not want the 24x60 lean too height to be a issue with tall 5th wheels thus the 18' eves.
With 5.00 a gallon diesel looming I doubt any RV in the near future :mad:

Last edited:
   / DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #7  
there are many DIY spray foam insulation suppliers,, Here is just one of them

www.icynene.com

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #8  
I just got my shop done by a professional. It is 30x42 with 16' eaves and cost me $2500. It makes a major difference. I will post a pic soon. I need an A/C now and it will be frosty in there.

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #9  
Try Tiger Foam on an internet search, I think they offer 600 board foot kits. It will probably cost far less to have a contractor do it that DIY, I just went through this myself.

/ DIY spray foam kits for metal shop? #10  
I have a relative that is a roofing/ construction contractor in Houston. I wanted to do the same thing to my metal barn, but he highly discouraged it. Apparently climactic conditions have to be just right to achieve proper expansion & adhesion. He was of the opinion that in the Houston area due to the high heat and humidity, it was very difficult to achieve acceptable results. His words were "There are about 5 days out of the year that conditions are right for that stuff to work". Now I'm not saying that's gospel, but definitely worth looking into.

Instead, he was able to hook me up with some surplus 2.5" fiberglassed foam board insulation that I'll be lining my walls with.