help w/fence corner bracing

/ help w/fence corner bracing #1  

HD03King

This weekend I got fence posts installed. I used 5 1/2" pt posts on corners/end posts and 4 1/2" pt on the line posts. I also installed all my metal corner braces. I used Hartbrand corner u braces from farm & fleet and have attached a photo similar to how mine look. I was wondering if I also need to install brace wire along with the metal brace and if so how does the wire get installed (which direction does it run)??

thanks

HD03King

/ help w/fence corner bracing #2  
You can add a wire tension brace, it's really simple.
Get some heavy gauge wire, around 6-8 gauge, ( around 1/8 inch diameter +).
If you get good heavy wire one loop will work. Attach the wire to the bottom of the corner post and the top of the next brace post ( opposing corners). Like the pic you supplied, the wire will run opposite of the pipe.

I would use at least 2" staples and don't drive them in so far that you mash the wire, just till it almost touches. you can either tie the wire for the loop or you can put a couple of staples on the ends leaving about 5" that you can bend back and add 2 more staples, I tie mine. ( Staple around 3-4 inches from top and bottom)

Now you need a small diameter pipe or somthing strong about 18" long, just off center near the "x" made by the steel and wire, place the small pipe between both wires and start twisting untill it gets tight the let the small pipe rest agianst the cross pipe using its own tension.

You probably knew most of this but threw it all in any way.

/ help w/fence corner bracing #3  
If you look really closely at the photo you provided, you will see a wire that is attached from the bottom of the corner post to the top of the brace(2nd) post. It is behind the woven fence wire. Notice how it makes an "X" pattern. Now, here is how you make that wire brace(assuming the metal brace is already installed with lag screws, and no woven fence wire is installed yet.)
You start with two fence staples, one gets pounded in at the bottom on the corner post opposite the metal brace lag screw(like where one would hang the pivot for a gate). Only pound the staple 1/2 way into the post. This will hold the bottom loop of the #9 wire for the "X" pattern. Now, the 2nd staple goes on the brace post, up high and on the opposite side from the metal brace lag screw. This will support the upper loop of the #9 wire around the back side of the post. Note: I recommend you put the staples at the same height as the lag screws of the "other post", this makes the final "X" pattern look better. Next, unravel about 20 feet of #9 wire(don't cut yet) and make a big oval loop thru each staple and around each post. The area where you want the two wire ends to cross is at the middle of the metal brace.(middle of the "X"). You need about 10" of overlap(each wire) to make your tie(20" total). Cut wire. This is where you will tied the #9 wire together. Tied it as tight as you can by hand as you loop each wire wire end back on itself and twist.(the tie looks like two eyelet bolts hooked together). It should look like an "X" pattern with one wire on the South side of the brace and your tie should be on the North side of the brace with the connection right in the middle. The next part works better with two people. One person will be on their knees next to the wire loop by the corner post, the other person will be standing by the wire loop closer to the brace post. Each person needs a tool or item to twist with(about 12-16" long). We use the handles of two large cresent wrenches, some poeple use sticks, rebar, the claw of a hammer,etc. Next, with both people on the same side of the fence, each one will stick your choosen tool inbetween the wires halfway between their post and the metal brace. This is where the twisting(tightening)of the wire loop will begin. Important note: One person must pull the top of his tool TOWARDS himself while the other person pushs the top of his tool AWAY from himself. Try to rotate an equal number times for each person until the wire is taut. The wire will break if you go too much, then remove your tools.​
This is hard to explain explain on paper, but I tried.

/ help w/fence corner bracing #4  
Looks like Western beat me on the post, He happens to leave the "tool" in place. I have seen it done that way also.
HD03King, Welcome to TBN.​

Last edited:
   / help w/fence corner bracing #6  
sellercreek said:
There is a good article in a recent Progressive Farmer mag.

ProgressiveFarmer.com|Get it Done|John Deere|How-to Projects

They use a ratchet strainer normally used for electric fences to put tension on the brace wire.

Never have done it that way but may give it a try.

I have, and it works pretty good. There are two different type strainers, make sure to get the heavy duty strainer for this, or you'll bust the light duty one apart. The heavy duty strainer has a square nut on one side for tightening, the light duty does not. There is also about a $1.50 price difference.

/ help w/fence corner bracing #7  
Depending on what your fence is to contain, a single wire (cable) may be safer. Like for instance, horses, they can get their legs caught in between the wires.

A fencing company a friend had used a cable that was looped around the post and secured right at the post at each end with only a single strand running diagonal. They also added a plastic tube over the cable.

It's been a few years since I saw the installation. I should have taken some pictures.

/ help w/fence corner bracing #8  
HD03King, your post confuses me.

Have you installed "all metal" braces or just wood/metal braced ones? Wood braces are the least desireable. Metal, with proper bracing, are the best.

I've built bracing with wood and with wire bracing per the customer, even if against better judgement, but have done it. It's a 60-year old method but okay if you want it.

No method works well buried less than 3' and without a dead-man at 45 degrees to the line being built. Wood, metal, hopes..................otherwise. Watch your hard-earned fence lean and sag if you don't do so.

Any who disagree don't know d@ck about fencing and need a remedial course.

The "art" of building a fence is so simple yet still so unknown or forgotten to the masses.....