Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before?

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Wasn't sure where to post this but since I am wanting to use the tarps for a project, decided to post it here. I had read an article in Farm Show about used billboard signs that are sold as super heavy duty tarps. They are very inexpensive and supposed to be about 10X more durable than heavy commercial tarps, impervious to UV rays and water, and extremely mildew and rot resistant.
I have looked at Sky Group Closeouts which the article highlighted and the prices appear to only be for lots of 10 or more.
Has anyone here bought/used them before and if so, can you pass along your experiences and where you got them?

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #2  
hmmmm, never thought about it.........if the $$ is right, it could serve many purposes...

Kernopelli said:
Wasn't sure where to post this but since I am wanting to use the tarps for a project, decided to post it here. I had read an article in Farm Show about used billboard signs that are sold as super heavy duty tarps. They are very inexpensive and supposed to be about 10X more durable than heavy commercial tarps, impervious to UV rays and water, and extremely mildew and rot resistant.
I have looked at Sky Group Closeouts which the article highlighted and the prices appear to only be for lots of 10 or more.
Has anyone here bought/used them before and if so, can you pass along your experiences and where you got them?

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #3  
I've seen truckers use them to tarp loads on flatbed trailers such as steel, so i have to think they are very durable. I always assumed they stole them though...........:D :D :D

Attachments

• IMG_8874.jpg
    IMG_8874.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 1,781
   / Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #4  
A friend of mine had a sign company give him some of tarps. He took one of them to a tarp company and had them sew the edges and put some eyelets in them and used them for blacksmith demo's. Told me that he could have bought a regular awning for what it cost to have the sewing done and would not have had the ads on the top of it. big dan

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #5  
I've never heard this before. What kind of billboards and signs???

Funny, I usually see old billboards with torn, faded paper flapping in the breeze advertising the $1.79 Blizzard from 4 years ago.......so considering using that as a cover is a little weird to me.

What are they making billboard signs out of these days?

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #6  
Joe, nowadays advertisers frequently put new ads on old billboard by printing the ad on a large tarp, then hanging it over (strapping it to) the billboard covering what is already there. Clearly a cost saving measure........ coming to a billboard near you !

I wonder what ever happened to those guys who used to actually PAINT the ads on billboards ???!!!!

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #7  
there were a few billboards near me that were still hand painted, until recently they were replaced with the tarp material.

Mark

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before?
JoeinTX said:
I've never heard this before. What kind of billboards and signs???

Funny, I usually see old billboards with torn, faded paper flapping in the breeze advertising the $1.79 Blizzard from 4 years ago.......so considering using that as a cover is a little weird to me.

What are they making billboard signs out of these days?

I copied some of Sky Group closeouts website ( Buy Tarp Here! - Billboard Tarp - 14' x 48' Vinyl - Highest Quality! ) and posted it below. I really like that they have a sewn edge that allows a rope/cable or pole to be passed through to secure it. These are also supposed to be treated for flame resistance. I am going to call later this morning and get a quote on a single 14X48 w/shipping. They advertise $40.00(w/o shipping) each when purchasing lots of 25. One this size weighs 80#'s so shipping may be kind of high. We have a local billboard company that has been erecting new signs like crazy around here, I'm going to give them a call and see if I can snag an old one for free or more reasonable price.
...anyway, this is some of what Sky group says on their website but the article in Farm Show was a lot more detailed.

{"The strength of these billboard tarps comes from the durable vinyl material measured at 20 mil, at least five times thicker than a regular blue tarp from Home Depot ( for some reason, I though Farm Show had said 10X stronger than commercial tarps...). A standard blue tarp weighs approximately 2.75 oz. per square yard, our tarps weigh 16 ounces per square yard! This strong material is completely waterproof.

When billboard manufacturers select material for a billboard, they need something that can last outdoors, unprotected for months in any kind of weather. What they use is an industrial-strength waterproof vinyl, a strong material that's perfect for a variety of uses.

The tarps are either white or black on one side with an ad on the other side. Also, on a small 1 or 2 tarp order we can try to send the desired color, but we cannot specify color on a larger pallet order.

We ask you to please keep the ad side of the tarps down during use in order to respect the advertisers' wishes.

With channels on the sides, they are easy to slide poles into or tie down - grommets can also be easily added. A vast majority of the tarps are white on one side, but a few of them are black as well. They weigh 80lb each! The large size and strength mean this tarp can be used for myriad purposes:

Industrial: covering large items that can't be moved indoors, or entire trucks. Farming: covering hay bales or equipment. Private use: lining pools or ponds, lining ice rinks, etc. Emergency: They can also be used for temporary roof patches, for homes damaged by fire, hurricane, tornado or the like. We've had customers use these for large, outdoor movie projection screens. You can paint them on the blank side, or cut them into smaller tarps. The possibilities are endless!

Our customers have included farmers, contractors, DNR, FEMA, US Government, schools, exporters, boat storage facilities, personal use, and much more"]

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #9  
ive got a contact in st louis that works for a smaller bilboard comapny. once a sign comes down they store them in the back for about 6 months. some compainies want to rerun the same add some months later (perhaps its seasonal) so they retain those.

others are collected in the lot for about 6-8 months. then they sell them, mostly to farmers. My neighbor has one drapped across hay as i speak.

he likes them because they are super heavy duty and come with a built in pocket he slides a pipe in and then ties that off to the ground. (basicly the same way they attach them up in the sky)

Think he got his for like $30-$40 which seems good for as heavy duty as it is.

/ Anyone use "Billboard" tarps before? #10  
i have used them for a long time for covering up matierials out side and they seam to out last every otheir kind that i have tried by at least a year or two more and they are a lot heavier but it would probly cost a little to have them custumized but for general covering they are great