Of stumps....and roots

/ Of stumps....and roots #1  

jaybrad

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC 2310TLB
In the process of clearing some stumps, I occasionally snag a root from a healthy tree that I would prefer to keep growing. Of course, once it's snagged, there is no putting it back, but I wonder if there is something (anything) I can do to try and minimize the damage?

What is the impact of losing a single large root (and maybe some small ones, too) to an otherwise healthy tree?

Thanks,
Jay

/ Of stumps....and roots #2  
Hi Jay,
Depending, sometimes they live sometimes they die. I'd be sure to give it ample water to help recover, but you never know. Best thing is to avoid the tree out to the "drip line" or diameter of the foliage, but sometimes you can't avoid it.
I see I've been a lot of help?

/ Of stumps....and roots #3  
So far I've done some impressive damage to one side of vairious tree root systems with no deaths. The local oaks seem pretty resilient. But your mileage will undoubtedly vary, and I wouldn't be shocked if one of the trees I've molested a lot ends up dying.

/ Of stumps....and roots #4  
I'm no authority on the subject...but

Generally many trees can survive a thinning of 1/4 their foliage or more above ground (some thrive with this treatment!). I think this can be true below ground as well.

Arborist our projects have consulted in the past always say if a root has to be cut then cut it clean, don't tear it, splinter it, hack it, etc. Using this as a guideline, if I inadvertently chomp a root from a keeper tree I shut down the tractor, break out the hand shovel and dig back to where the root is undamaged. There I wash off the dirt (to keep my saw sharp) and make a clean cut straight across the root. Then replace soil and soak with water.

BTW I do similar for small smaller feeder roots exposed and broken/torn in my utility trenches. Once the trench is dug I go back down the trench with loppers and clean cut the torn roots right at the face of the trench. I think this helps. Arborist claim the clean cut root (some species) will sprout and regrow where as a jagged torn root will not.

/ Of stumps....and roots #5  
interesting idea. I had to pull a power conduit through a tree I wanted to keep - ended up shoveling around the roots and weaving it through. So far so good.

Of course, just thought I better make a note somewhere that if that tree ever dies it has to be flush cut...