Pole Barn, Pole Question

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #1  

HoustonBrama

Tractor
New Holland TT60
Good evening to all. I'm new to the forum here but I truly like it. There is a wealth of knowledge here from what I've read that I have not found any where else. I will try to be brief.
I'm currently in the Army serving in Afghanistan. This will be my last combat tour and then I will leave the Army for nice civilian life. I have been saving for a nice horse barn for three combat tours. When I return in December construction will begin.
My question is, have any of you ever made nail-lam beams for poles for your pole barns? I have seen many, many photo's on the web of these. It seems as they would be much easier to erect than a solid 20' pole as they go together in pieces. Also, if you have, I thought I read some where that you should not use more than three 2"x6"'s together. Is 2"x8"'s better?

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #2  
I've seen this in some of the "handyman" magazines for weekend warriors, but it's not something I'd recomend. The problem is that 2x lumber is only treated for above ground use. It's not treated at a level for being buried in the ground.

Hopefully somebody who knows for sure can give you the numbers, or you can look them up. My guess is that 2x lumber is rated at .25 and posts for direct burial in the ground is rated at .40 and of course, posts fof docks and water submersion has an even higher rating. My guess is .80 but I really don't remember these things for sure.

I wouldn't do it.

Eddie

Thank you for your service.
USMC 1983 to 1988

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #3  
I know morton uses laminated posts for some of their pole barns. I seem to recall when shopping for my barn seeing some available somewhere, but forget where. I assume (watch that word) that they are made for direct ground contact. I know the posts I put in the ground were the ones rated for water, something like .6 or .8

Be careful over their, it seems to be heating up there again.

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question
What if I coated them up real good with some roofing tar? Never mind the green peace stuff.

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #5  
buckeyefarmer said:
I know morton uses laminated posts for some of their pole barns. I seem to recall when shopping for my barn seeing some available somewhere, but forget where. I assume (watch that word) that they are made for direct ground contact. I know the posts I put in the ground were the ones rated for water, something like .6 or .8

Be careful over their, it seems to be heating up there again.

A homeowner in my neighborhood is putting up a Morton building and I noticed the laminated posts as I drove by one day. I seem to recall the portion in the ground was one piece with at least one or two rabbets cut into the post for the non-pressure treated wood to attach to. Then I seem to recall seeing cleats or jack studs on each side of the joint to give it stability.

Tough to see exact details when driving 25-MPH past the building.

However, I agree with Eddie's advice to you.

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #6  
Stick with the poles designed for ground contact.

Pole building poles are 0.60 CCA (the old treatment chemical that has since been restricted by the EPA)

Treated 2x6 will be 0.25 ACQ. Which is the newer, "safer" treatment chemical. Which by nearly all accounts does not work as well, and is **** on any type of fastener or bracket other than stainless.

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #7  
The poles I bought were .60 ACQ. Time will tell how well they last. The yard I bought them from used to sell 1.5 CCA. I believe all were green hemlock that had been incised.

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #8  
I was looking at a Morton building and they had used 2x6's/2x8's as posts. Pretty sure it was PT. The nice detail I remember was that the middle 2x was shorter than the outer 2x. This allowed them to insert the truss in the slot created by the taller/shorter 2xs. Hope that make sense.

I would only use PT wood for ground contact for the poles if they are in the ground. What I have planned to do was pour concrete piers and attach the poles to metal anchors embedded in the piers. I just don't like the idea of the wood in the ground but that is just me. :)

Later,
Dan

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #9  
HoustonBrama said:
What if I coated them up real good with some roofing tar? Never mind the green peace stuff.

As others have said...use PT. Pressure treating is done in a "pressure cooker," raising and lowering pressure to draw treatment deep into wood fibers, making them rot resistant. Coatings are a barrier only...don't improve wood's resistance to rot...

/ Pole Barn, Pole Question #10  
HoustonBrama said:

I would not build them but I am sure that your local lumber yard could get them for you. I opted for the 6x6 posts but I think that the laminated post would be much easier to work with as they will be much straighter.