Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild

/ Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild #1  

myyaz33

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T273
Finally got the backhoe project pretty much completed so its about time I get something posted. First off, thanks to "California" for helping me out with information on this backhoe.

I found the Kubota K-650 on Ebay last year and bought it for $800. I thought is was a pretty good deal. Took me a while to get down to Texas to pick it up and when I saw it, I realized it was going to be a bit more work than I originally thought. Once I got it back home I started ripping it down and taking pictures of it so I might actually get it put back together some day. Once I got everything apart I found a few broken pieces (swing & crowd) that I got to use the welder on. It already has some reinforcement on the boom which looked pretty good. I repacked all the cylinders using seal kits from TractorSmart.com and got the seal kits for the valves but decided not to install them yet (not sure why...). I also got a new reinforced top link at this time too and a few misc. parts.

I prepped most of the metal using a combination of wire brush, grind wheel, wet sandblaster and dry sandblaster. After all that I took it to a professional to have it sandblasted again. Once I got it back I primed and painted it in my dirty old garage. Using Kubota color paint from TSC and for the bucket I used the graphite paint to see if that would keep the dirt from sticking to the pitted bucket.

Upon re-assembling the unit, I had to buy new hoses which cost me $500. I wasn't too pleased about that.. Anyway a few fittings here and there and tonight I fired it up and it works pretty well. I originally intended using this on my Kubota B-6100, but I sold that last March and now have the TYM in the photos. I don't have the seat or re-reinforced top link installed as the 3pt links arms are too short. Not sure what I am going to do about that now... Anyway I will post more later after some sleep. Enjoy the pictures and don't forget to check out the link to the album.

Here are links to the photo album-
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/myyaz33/Kubota K-650 Backhoe

Here is the picture of the image as I saw it on Ebay.

_1.jpg

Here are two pics of what it looks like tonight. I am going to try and make some decals to match the original Kubota stickers as I can't find any replacements stickers anywhere.

100_3161.jpg

100_3158.jpg

/ Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild #2  
Wow! That looks great. You must have the patience of Job to undertake the rebuild. I noticed the rams were pitted pretty good, any leakage issues? Congratulations on your project well done, that backhoe will be mighty handy!!

/ Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild
Thanks for the kind words. The rams did look pitted however it was mostly just surface rust that was taken care of with steel wool and fine sandpaper. At this time there dosen't seem to be any leakage on them but I haven't really put any stress on them yet.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 753
   / Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild #4  
Very nice job, I'm jealous!!. I have been contemplating building a hoe for sometime and have picked up some of the hydraulics and steel...just waiting on the time and motivation to start.
I havent seen the swing set up like that before, I assume it uses a hydraulic motor to power the chain? I'm also curious as to why the hoses were so much?

Again, GOOD JOB!!

The swing is powered by a hydraulic cylinder and valve(left joystick valve). The cylinder is located directly behind the chain and connect to a flat metal bar that moves side to side which in turn moves the chains. That flat metal bar was broke in half when I got it, so I butt welded it back together. There might be some pictures of it in the album, if not I will be uploading more pictures later.

/ Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild #6  
Great job! Thanks for sharing all the pix.

Kernopelli said:
I'm also curious as to why the hoses were so much?

I was not sure either. I thought for 14 hoses, maybe $200 or $300 at most, but was shocked when I got the bill. I didn't argue as I don't have many options in town. Maybe that is why!!

/ Kubota K-650 Backhoe rebuild #8  
myyaz33 said:
I was not sure either. I thought for 14 hoses, maybe $200 or $300 at most, but was shocked when I got the bill. I didn't argue as I don't have many options in town. Maybe that is why!!

Might be, if there's no competition in your area. I bought a few hoses from a small local equipment rental/sales place, then I got almost the same set up from NAPA for 1/2 the cost! When we spent a few hundred, that adds up to a good savings.

irwin said:
Might be, if there's no competition in your area. I bought a few hoses from a small local equipment rental/sales place, then I got almost the same set up from NAPA for 1/2 the cost! When we spent a few hundred, that adds up to a good savings.

Why did I not think of NAPA? That may have been money saved for another implement!!! I'd better not check to see what the same hoses cost from them or I'll kick myself.

Anybody have a good idea on how I can get some Kubota stencils made so I can paint the logos back on?

Hooked the backhoe up tonight and ran it from the rear remotes instead of the PTO pump. Worked great! Made big hole!