Oak Tree Formula

/ Oak Tree Formula #1  

Texas Dodge

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 4WD
Anyone have a formula for making your oak trees really grow? I had at one time a recipe from my dad that used something like ammonium sulfate and copper or something like that. I can't seem to find it, so what do you recommend?:confused:

/ Oak Tree Formula #2  
The ammonium sulfate would acidify the soil, which is good for oak trees, but don't overdo it. If you really want to do it right, test your soil. Your local extension service should have mailers where you put some soil in them and they're sent to a local university for (probably free) testing, and the results are sent back to you.

I'd lay off the copper, though. Copper is usually harmful to plants. It's used in dilute concentrations to kill algae in ponds or as a fungicide on plants. If the concentration is too high, it'll damage or kill the plants (or fish if you're going after algae). I've never heard of it being used as an ingredient in fertilizer.

Pin Oak trees grow pretty fast on their own. I don't know about the other oaks or oaks in your part of the country.

The best formula is probably 2 parts time mixed with 3 parts patience. :)

/ Oak Tree Formula #3  
1 pound of 10-10-10 per 1" of basal diameter. (Chest height measure across the trunk). Spread the fertilizer evenly inside the entire drip area of the tree. (The area where water from the leaves will drip straight down and hit the ground). Gently turn the fertilizer in and if possible water it.

Do that once per year in the spring just before the buds break. You can also do it in the late fall, but you won't get as much bang for your buck as some will run off during the winter. It's also better to give too little than too much. Too little will just delay growth, too much will kill it.

BTW, copper sulfate is what you want to sprinkle around trees that you want DEAD. It's used sometimes in septic systems to kill trees that are spreading roots into the lines.

You also want to potentially modify the soil ph to optimize growth. Check out what is best for the type of tree and adjust according to your soil report.