Is this a bad idea?

/ Is this a bad idea? #1  

mrfrosty

Tractor
KUBOTA L3300
I am in the process of moving in a doublewide and I would like to build a shop or at least know where it will be someday, for utility purposes. Would it be a bad idea to go ahead and shoot the grade where I want it and square off the 32x40 area? I would also like to go ahead and set all my post and go ahead and order the trusses and put a metal roof on it. And when I sell the trailer I live in now, I would like to go ahead and pour my foundation and close it in. Im just not sure if there would be a problem doing that or not.

/ Is this a bad idea? #2  
Don’t see why that would be a problem. There are a lot of open sides storage sheds around. I would not let trusses stay in place without the tin for extended periods of time.
When you say pour the foundation later I assume you mean a concrete floor because pole barns don’t use a foundation like a normal stick built structure. Actually in most pole buildings the floor is poured after the building is up.

MarkV

/ Is this a bad idea?
Oops I meant pour the concrete after the poles are already up. Do you usually pour footings on all 4 sides? This is going to be built on a gental slope, so I will need a lot of fill to meet the grade. I was gonna screw some 2x12's to the bottom of the post and go ahead and bring my fill in after the post is set, but then I dont know how I will be able to do my footings.

/ Is this a bad idea? #4  
Why do you need footings? Set your poles and put your 2x12's around the bottom then fill, compact ,gravel and pour. Key here is compacting the fill. Do it in small lifts.

/ Is this a bad idea? #5  
This is going to be built on a gental slope, so I will need a lot of fill to meet the grade.

Whenever I do any sort of grading work, I try to make the site balance. In other words make the cut yardage match the fill yardage... Unless you have a connection or a deal on the dirt, it can become expensive to import or export. Is there any reason not to cut into the hill and use the dirt to fill on the other half. As was previously stated, compaction is key when grading/placing structural fill.

Attachments

• Cut Fill Balance.jpg
    Cut Fill Balance.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 108
   / Is this a bad idea?
I have approximately 35 to 50 tons of rock, gravel and topsoil. I have been clearing my land and Dug 9 trenches to pour footing for piers for a doublewide coming in. I think I have enough fill. I just hope trusses arent that expensive.

/ Is this a bad idea?
i think I am going to go ahead and set my treater post before I build the pad. That will make the post that much further down in the ground. I will just have to go ahead and brace the top of the post or they will twist on me.