1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #1  

mscheer772

Silver Member
Tractor
4310 JD 2003
The county tore up the road into our place and laid down gravel. I let the contractor doing the job dump the spoil on our land. It's in all different size chunks. How can I most economically reduce it to grindings that I can spread onto some low spots on out trails?

-Mike-

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #2  
Mike,

Did they grind the road and dump the spoils at your place or just remove the asphalt with loaders? How big and thick are the pieces. Also, what type of equipment do you have available to use? If you have something with steel tracks, it can break down the asphalt. If there is a lot of grindings in it, you need to be careful letting it sit there for extended periods of time in the sun because it will get very hard and you will need a backhoe with teeth at the minimum to break it up.

Jeff

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding
They used a bulldozer,excavator, and a dump truck.There are no grindings The pieces all vary in size. The thickness is about 4 inches.

I don't have anything that will effectively grind up the asphalt.

-Mike-

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #4  
How much asphalt do you have? 1/4 mile of road at 4" thick would be around 700 tons.

Jeff

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #6  
I recall that during the clean up for Hurricane Andrew down in Florida several years ago.....a grinder was developed that would grind anything and everything. I think it was called a Tub Grinder.

You might check around and see if that might be an answer to your query. I may be all wet on this one....however in the back reaches of my mind that is what I remember.

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #7  
If you run over it with a sheepfoot type packer that is heavy enough long enough it will break down.

Another option is to run it through a crusher if one is available.:D

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #8  
I think it was called a Tub Grinder.

Just be careful when looking up tub grinder, most you will find are meant for grain and hay. Make sure your grinder is rated for rock/asphalt.

/ 1/4 mile of asphalt needs grinding #9  
Good points about the tub grinders. That's why I was asking how much material Mike had. I think it cost between $300 & $500 per hour (that should include a loader), plus mobilization. There is also a minimum charge too. I had a Maxigrind 325 when I was in business and we could grind between 100 and 150 tons per hour depending on the thickness and density of the asphalt. It could end up costing between $3 and $6 per ton to have the material processed. Thats a lot cheaper than gravel, and it's a better base too.

Ridgewalker, when new workers would start complaining about how hard paving work was, work, I would tell them that a lot of people pay health clubs to get a workout like that, and they here they are getting paid for it.

Jeff