New Power line costs

/ New Power line costs #1  

firemen122

Silver Member
Tractor
deere 3720
I have a 80 acre parcel that has no power. The nearest power pole is appr 3000 ft from where the house is to sit. After speaking with power co. they only run 1200 ft free of charge, the next 1800 is my dime at 4-5.00$ per foot. So 7-9000.00 out of pocket. Is it any cheaper if I were to run underground and I buy and lay the pipe and power co. pulls thru it? Just fishing for suggestions hear. No cant move the home closer. Thanks

/ New Power line costs #2  
Different power company's have different rules-you will have to ask then if you can provide conduit for them...

One of two local company's around me REQUIRE the customer to install 3" PVC gray conduit from the pole or transformer to the meter base...while the other (mine) has the same deal yours does...1,200' for free (buried or aerial) and the rest on your dime

/ New Power line costs #3  
Seems different everywhere. I am putting service to a barn about 650 feet underground after about 150 feet to one new pole (electric Co designed). I will have a transformer near the barn. I think the quote is about $1800 (papers at home now and I am not.) This price does not include my trenching the 650 feet and digging a smooth spot and 8 inches of sand/gravel for the transformer. No free footage at all here. I guess total cost is about $4 per foot. They said the price would be higher for above ground/poles the whole way. I do not need conduit the whole length...this saves some cost. They put their cable up to the transformer. Call them and ask how you can save money. They usually do want your sevice and should try to help. Good luck.

Peter

/ New Power line costs #4  
in my area they give you a certain footage of wire free then the rest is up to you. as said previously if you go ug, i believe they will require min 3in pvc conduit. i would also add from experience that if you go ug please blow in a line or run it as you go, preferrably that yellow nylon "peanut" rope or other strong form of pull string, esp w/ the length of run you have. if you go the aerial route do they charge for the poles? if so you looking at about a 15 pole run if they are at a 200ft spacing, less if they go up span footage. also b4 you go about putting in the electric, i would also think about communication service wether from a telco or catv. for a ug run its going to get expensive fast w/ the amount of conduit you'll need for both communication and power. at least w/ the aerial run they can share poles, that said the pole will be def around 15 poles as telco and catv really can't run spans as far as power as their lines are a bit heavier. good luck,jim

/ New Power line costs #5  
I have a 80 acre parcel that has no power. The nearest power pole is appr 3000 ft from where the house is to sit. After speaking with power co. they only run 1200 ft free of charge, the next 1800 is my dime at 4-5.00$ per foot. So 7-9000.00 out of pocket. Is it any cheaper if I were to run underground and I buy and lay the pipe and power co. pulls thru it? Just fishing for suggestions hear. No cant move the home closer. Thanks

Check to see if you can lay cable down your own property line.. IE.. you hire a trencher and then trench it, then get n electrician/contractor to lay the line.. then let the power co. drop a pole and hookup at the corner of your property. You are lucky your power co runs any feet free.. mine only runs free from their pole to your meter... I am in the process of having 543' of line run from the road in front of my house to the well on my farm... costing me about 5k$...

soundguy

/ New Power line costs
Thanks for the replies everyone. Should be no catv as it will be satellite. I am going to call and check on underground. Soundguy why so costly for 540 feet? I would prefer undergroung myself, but like everything else the cost usually predicts how we can do things. Any ideas on where to price the conduit?

/ New Power line costs #7  
They are having to drop 3 poles.. one on the corner of my property.. that lets them get power from across the road to my property.. then another pole 400' down my line ( my PC only spans 400' per pole... ).. then the last pole just 100' from the previous one.. then from there.. it's 'free' to hang down to my 60a pole with meter box by my ag well.

all that $$ and not even any vasolene...

soundguy

/ New Power line costs
Soundguy They told me beteween 4-5.00 ft for overhead that included poles and labor. 7-8.00 if the have to clear trees which they do not. Sounds like your co. is breaking it off in you. I get 1200 ft free for residence and 200 ft for ag well needless to say the well and power plans got put on hold until we move out there. What co. are you with? I deal with suwannee valley electric all good folks around there.

/ New Power line costs #9  
Here in Vermont zero feet free. Burying it underground must be at least 3 ft deep and 3" conduit. The usual figure I hear is around $10/foot.

/ New Power line costs #10  
when you figure the cost of copper these days, $4-5/foot installed isn't such a bad deal. i mean regular ol' 12-3 romex is close to a dollar a foot just for the cable, no labor, poles or auger equipment included. and the stuff they are running is at least good for 200 amp service so probably 2 gauge or larger.

amp