Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus

/ Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus #1  

4000su

We recently cleared some acreage by hiring an excavator with a brontosaurus. It left scattered 1-6 foot lengths of hardwood sticks (1-3 inches in diam) and lots of shredded/chipped wood on the ground. It also left some scattered stump stubs that could harm tractor tires without cutting them. I"m trying to figure out what would be the best way to clean up the mess so I can eventually brushog the area with my tractor in a few year. Looking for suggestions:)

/ Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus #2  
What I have done in the past...is first go in with your chainsaw and cut the stubs and what stumps you can manage to a lower height. That will make it safer on your tractor and tires. Then go over the area with a 3 point rake to clean up the debris into burn piles. If you go slow enough, the rake will ride up over the stumps as you go, without breaking off any tines. I take Roundup and spray around the bigger, taller stumps and stubs so the weeds will not hide them, and you don't have to get so close to them when it comes time to bush hog. Most of your bush hogging will probably be going backward, as it is easier to maneuver the hog around stumps instead of driving the tractor forward over your minefield. In about 3 years, hopefully the stumps will have softened up enough for your bucket to take the top portion off enough to bush hog over the area. Hope this makes sense.

Oh, by the way...Howdy! It's nice meeting a new old member!

/ Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus #3  
We recently cleared some acreage by hiring an excavator with a brontosaurus. It left scattered 1-6 foot lengths of hardwood sticks (1-3 inches in diam) and lots of shredded/chipped wood on the ground. It also left some scattered stump stubs that could harm tractor tires without cutting them. I"m trying to figure out what would be the best way to clean up the mess so I can eventually brushog the area with my tractor in a few year. Looking for suggestions:)

How big are your stump stubs? What kind of tires do you run? I brushhoged a field that had over grown with saplings up to about 3" dia. and never had a problem running over them with my tractor or my ATV. The brush hog leaves the ends kind of frayed so that may help. I have no idea what a brontosaurus is or how it leaves stumps.

/ Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus #4  
You should post in the construction area. There are guys there that do mulching that do a lot of mulch "repair" biz, fixing the nasty situation that your last contractor left you with.

jb

/ Cleaning up clearing debris from Brontosaurus #5  
How big are your stump stubs? What kind of tires do you run? I brushhoged a field that had over grown with saplings up to about 3" dia. and never had a problem running over them with my tractor or my ATV. The brush hog leaves the ends kind of frayed so that may help. I have no idea what a brontosaurus is or how it leaves stumps.

It's this thingy

YouTube - Brown Brontosaurus Mower Working in Florida