Pole barn for future horse question?

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #1  

daveinnh

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310
We're currently having a 3-bay 36' x 23' pole barn built to house a Kubota, pickup, and car. (tired of moving vehicles for plowing last winter - 2nd highest recorded snowfall in Concord, NH). The builder started last week and has 2-3 weeks left.

If we have a future garage built, the pole barn may become a home to horses or mules, in it's next life. My wife was thinking a ridge vent may be needed for future horses, but I don't ever recall seeing these in horse barns (not that I've specifically looked for though).

Cost increase is minimal ~ $100-200, but was wondering about any down-sides. BTW, ridge is aligned East-West. Your thoughts?

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #2  
The reason for good ventillation is based on the ammonia buildup from horse urine. On those days and nights when its really hot or really cold outside, you will bring them in and they will pee, a lot.

Also, most folks don't plan on hay bale storage when they plan out a horse barn, or a wash stall. You can use an aisleway for this, but that also means water, a place to cross-tie the critters, and a floor drain. A lockable tack room is a good idea, and some extra stall space in case Mom needs a friend for Trigger or a boarder to help pay for it all. The tack room needs to be sealed from critters, too. Chipmonks and mice and raccoons will find it. If the horse gets to it, its lights out for them. A few extra electric circuits are handy: fencer, clippers, farrier forge blower, hay elevator, hydrant water heater, you get the idea.

A 2 story structure without hay storage "above" the stalls is your best bet. Figure 1/2 bale per day per horse. Do the math. Buying hay in 30 - 40 bale increments is generally how it goes around here.

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #3  
Where can I get a Future Horse? :)

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #4  
I've had horses for most my life and my wife is a horse vet.
You couldn't have better advice than zzvyb6 just wrote.
Install lots of ventilation - you'll need it and it's good for the horses too. They won't suffer from the cold if they are out of the wind, dry, lots of drinking water, and the air is good. There needs to be at least one stout critter-proofed room with a key and lock. It's not for horse tack - mostly you want good leather kept away from feed and the inevitable mice. The strong room is for storing grain and sweet feed and maybe even rich hay. If the horse gets into that stuff and eats his fill it can - often does - ruin his health for life. That's a **** shame and happens too often.
Put any extra money into good corral fencing and a charger.
rScotty - with an old JD 2 cylinder that's our keeper and a new Kubota M59 that's still on trial...but looking good.

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #5  
Why at the Futurity, of course...

couldn't resist. Google horse Futurity

Pete

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #7  
building a pole barn without any pictures,absurd

/ Pole barn for future horse question? #8  
Very good advice posted already. I would like to add that we have always stored our feed in an old chest type freezer, nothing gets in the feed. Remember "A cold barn is a healthy barn". Horses can take a lot of cold, it's the cold freezing rain and wind that gets to them. As far as ventilation goes these babies do the trick in summer (heat removal) and winter.
The turbines can be purchased made out of galvanized steel, aluminum and a few different colors and they will not cover over with snow as the ridge vents will.
611892516.jpg

Last edited: