Ballast box I am going to build!

/ Ballast box I am going to build! #1  

Dan22

Tractor
John Deere 4310, Cat 22, D4
Hey gang,
I though I would show you what my next build project is. I had an old 40 gallon water heater tank just sittin' there empty, and I thought it is about the right size to make a ballast box out of. I have various scrap metal around for the attachment points, and plan on filling it with rocks and concrete or portland cement for mass. Guessing it will weigh 600 lbs or so.

I have two (what I think to be) novel ideas for this contraption One is to include built in dolly wheels to make it easier to hook up. I do not have a quick hitch, but plan on making it compatible just in case I get one in the future.

Plus, I occasionally pull a light trailer for firewood gathering so I put a ball hitch on the back. This way I can tow the trailer to the site for wood cutting, then unhitch to use the loader/forks to pick up the (big) logs for cutting. Then rehook and load up the trailer for hauling.

The only thing missing is perhaps a spot to mount a cooler for my favorite beverage storage during all this work I intend to do with it. I saw an idea from someone on the board to put a lift eye on top, so I will do that too.

Of course it is green to match the rest of the equipment....

Be kind please, I am a newbie on the format. I will post pics of the construction if interested.
Dan

Attachments

• Weight box idea1.JPG
    Weight box idea1.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Weight box idea2.JPG
    Weight box idea2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 114
   / Ballast box I am going to build!
OOPs, wrong forum. Meant it to be in Build-It-Yourself. Admin can you switch it?
Dan

/ Ballast box I am going to build! #3  
Go for it. The only issue I see based on your model is that the front wheels may hit the lift arms when hooking it up. I'd go with casters instead of wheels; but there is always a chance the wheels/casters will dig in the dirt while going through a ditch or working on a berm. I've had this happen with my ballast box, which is why it lives on a furniture dolly when not in use. Definitely make it compatible with 3PH's that do and don't have a Quick-Hitch. That's what I do with my stuff. I filled mine with sand so I can remove it if for some reason I need to. A rack for tools (e.g. shovels, rakes) would be handy. I may do that with mine one day.

By all means post pictures if you build it.

/ Ballast box I am going to build! #4  
I think the ball mount is going to pull off, just bring a U around the tank and back to the 3 point mount.

/ Ballast box I am going to build! #5  
Even though you'll need to reinforce the water heater with some plate steel where you plan to put the 3pt hitch mounts and also the trailer ball, it's a very good idea. When you get out there to move logs and cut wood, you'll have the ballast you need.
Harbor Freight makes pneumatic caster wheels exactly for you project. You'll need them if you ever plan to roll the ballast around on anything except concrete. You can use 2 rigid and 2 swivel casters. They are about 10" diameter and about a foot tall overall. I just bought a set for a project I'm doing and got them for $9.99 ea at my local store. Here's a link to the ones I got.
Harbor Freight Pneumatic Casters
Oh, and you might consider painting a few of the projections yellow for that added "bling".:)