squeeze chute 101

/ squeeze chute 101 #1  

moloss

Silver Member
Tractor
share Kubota M6800
I need a squeeze chute but I'm pretty green when it comes to brands.....I'm small looking to work around 40 head (when all my fencing is done), mainly cow calf operation....anyhow any and all suggestions are needed....thanks Chris.

/ squeeze chute 101 #2  
I prefer the Powder River or Priefert squeeze chutes. For years I would only use a manual headgate on either until I had the opportunity to us an automatic gate, now I would never go back to a manual. We have worked over 300 head in a single day with just 3 people. If you are going to be doing anything around the kicking end of the cow I would splurge for a palpation cage. Make sure that you have a nose bar for the headgate also, took about 3 months one time to recover from a headbutt received during a dehorning.

/ squeeze chute 101
I found a used Filson for $1500 with an automatic head catch.....seems high but it was stored inside....any ideas guys?

/ squeeze chute 101 #4  
I have a 25+ year old Silver King squeeze chute that I still prefer to any of the 10 or so brands/kinds I have used over the years. I don't know where to get one any more. These are the features that I particularly like:

self catching head gate.... open the two gates inward, animal sees a way out, sticks its head thru but gate opening is narrower than shoulders which then push the gates shut, gate latch shuts automatically with very simple gravity latch

vertical rollers on the head gate that can be width adjusted for various animal sizes... very small calf to large bull... the rollers are parallel, full length top to bottom... this allows an animal to get down in the chute and NOT choke to death.

capability to handle 2500 lb bull... not all chutes are wide enough to do this.

tail gate lifts vertically... I have a series of pulleys so I can use a long rope and hold the gate up, get around behind the animal to pressure it down the chute and then drop the gate once it is in.

Squeeze has long handle allowing significant side closing pressure and immobility of the animal

sides of chute can be moved in at the bottom with tab catches for various widths.

bottom section of both sides of the chute can be lifted out for working on feet, bags, etc. These sides are solid boards so feet do not catch on them.

One side of chute can be swung open by pulling a latch.. then closed by pulling a rope. Very important to be able to open this latch when a fully grown animal has gone crazy in the chute and is down and can't get up, maybe on its side. I added a pulley to make closing this side gate easier.

floorboards of chute are replaceable... otherwise, everything is heavy duty metal

a chain on head gate handle to hold it in place and prevent it from being banged up and opening at bad time.

I added a chain and catch at the front of the chute... so head can be forced down to the ground... chain over neck and pulled down to prevent vertical head throwing.

I added catches to hold the rope of a pair of nose pliers to pull the head around to either side... for dehorning and complete control of animal's head.

Side bars on each side can be individually lowered allowing access from shoulders to rear. These bars allow stubborn animals to be levered forward into the head gate by successively blocking behind their rump and holding any forward motion gained.

I wish it had a palpation cage.... provides safety for rear operations as well as man gates allowing simple passage thru the chute into adjoining pen. I wasn't smart enough to get that feature when I got the chute... truly worth the extra money.

My opinion... it isn't the brand but rather the features and how it works that is important... Just because it is billed as a cattle chute and from a known brand doesn't mean it will be great to work with.

I've used chutes whose head gate opening mechanism is so not intuitive that I have to work out the mechanics in my head each time to make sure I'm opening the gate the right way. I've seen animals get down and there be no way to release them from the chute. I've seen animals get choked because of a narrow throat stop at the bottom of the head gate. I've seen animals so wide they couldn't be forced into the chute. I've seen situations where one bar gets knocked wrong and all the side bars drop at once... not a pretty sight when a wild animal escapes from a chute thru the sides!!

When working cattle, you have to think safety, safety, safety....

I recommend,strongly, that you assist someone with a chute work their cattle... do this for numerous different chutes... each experience will be educational regarding issues such as horns, branding, castrating, large animals, small animals, down animals, docile animals, spooky animals, sorting out side gate or head gate, forward/rear opening head gates, controlling the head, controlling kicking.....

There is no perfect chute.... but some are far better than others... and equally important, maybe more so, is the pen layout and sorting pens leading into the chute that leads to the squeeze chute.

With a cow/calf operation, you have the worst of all worlds... large bulls, tiny calves, working animals several times a year, first calf heifers, calving problems, injury/illnesses that come up in poor weather/dark, mad mommas when you have their calf in the squeeze, mastitis treatments, weak calves that need assistance learning how to nurse, orphaned calves you may try to get another cow to accept.

It's so much fun:eek: And, the right chute will go a long way to assisting you in all these operations. Locate it out of the raw wind and sun and where you can keep supplies and tools and your life will be much easier. Given the right pen setup and chute, you can position an animal by your self and work on it.

Here is a prior thread discussing cattle raising....you may find it interesting
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ag-tractors-machinery/87655-cattle-start-up-questions.html

Best wishes!

Last edited:
   / squeeze chute 101
texas john thanks for the sharring I really appreciate it......Chris.

/ squeeze chute 101 #6  
I found a used Filson for $1500 with an automatic head catch.....seems high but it was stored inside....any ideas guys?

I have a Filson I have used for 8-10 years, (and I bought it used ) very strong, easy to use, I would buy another in a heart beat. Powder River has a cheapo line now that is not good for bulls or cows over 1100 lbs. (most are close to that) so watch the series # you are pricing, Preifert still uses the "gillotine" type head catch, so you better have your reaction time right or you catch a nose or a sholder. WW is also a good brand. New ones are $2700+ so if its that clean go for it.
Jack

/ squeeze chute 101 #7  
Just a bit of experience from a day worker for a cow/calf operation in N. California. We have a hydraulic chutte that is a dream for the operator but a nightmare if you're trying to keep the alley full of cows, they seem to hate the noise from the little engine that it runs. We use that one to work the cows. A older manual powder river for the heifers/steers and anything else gets roped. The hundred or so bulls go through the hydraulic sqeeze. Comes with its own trailer so you only need to buy one.

/ squeeze chute 101 #8  
Selvin... welcome to TBN!!! Let's hear what you are doing with your tractor and place. Photos, of course!

/ squeeze chute 101 #9  
Boy, thanks for the warm welcome. My wife and I have thirteen acres in California in the East Bay area. I keep a few horses there and only have a sub compact kubota so tractor project are relatively small. This summer was a 20 by 20 pole barn for hay storage which is how I found this site and I have really enjoyed reading about everyones projects. The barn is getting there and not half as nice as some of the other on this site but it will keep the hay dry. The other picture is the extended back yard retaining wall for my wifes lawn(even though our well hasn't pumped a thing for the last year or so. The top of the wall is filled with some decent soil for planting. We are plagued with clay soil that won't grow anything. The place is a hillside so all project need some grading. I'm blessed to have a neighbor with a D6. He is line for my next project of clearing out the under brush (coyote brush and poison oak) and cutting a winding road to the top of the hill so I can keep the clreaing project going and maybe put in a round pen in the woods some day. I have a 15 month old daughter so projects go slowly around here. I cowboy for fun and work for the electric company during the week as a mechanical engineer. Keep on posting I'm learning a lot from reading about everyones projects.

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    619.9 KB · Views: 1,188
  • CIMG2440.jpg
    CIMG2440.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 959