Good day at the pawn shop

/ Good day at the pawn shop #1  

emmy71

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
Going by a local reputable pawn shop today I saw a go-kart sitting outside that I thought my son would like. Stopped in and they wanted a little more for it than I wanted to pay. So I looked around for a while and came across a couple items I have been wanting but am just too cheap to buy at full price. One was a Warn Works 4700 winch that was brand new still in the box and retails for $499.99 at Northern. Next item was a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC welder that has burned very few rods. Looked brand new and retails for $459.99 at Northern. Go-kart was in very good shape and a lot faster than I thought it was going to be. Probably $800.00 or $900.00 new. When all was said and done I walked out with all three and only $725.00 out of my pocket. No items were hot, very reputable establishment. Probably another effect of our economy.

Terry

/ Good day at the pawn shop #2  
I've done ok at our local pawn shop a couple times. I picked up a nice pro grade Husqvarna 346xp chainsaw for $135. Lately there are tons of contractor tools and equipment there...... another sign of the times. Our local shop has been there a loooong time and i'm unaware of any issues with stolen goods. Congrats on your good finds! I'm jealous, i'm lookin for an AC/DC tombstone myself!

/ Good day at the pawn shop #3  
Congratulations on a killer buy. I guarantee that'll keep you in toy heaven for 6 months!

We have 3-4 pawn shops in a 25mi radius, and I visit once in a blue moon. Once in a while I see something I want, but the price is always higher than new. (Who would ever buy used stuff for more than new?) I would love to find a Lincoln gen welder at the right price, but I'll probably end up getting one from Sams Club.

/ Good day at the pawn shop #4  
nothing better than a good pawn shop.

when cash is tight people start selling there toys and that just means you get good deals on your new toys.

/ Good day at the pawn shop #5  
around here I would not want to buy much from a pawn shop, I would hazzard a guess that 50% or better was too hot to hold onto. I do watch creigs list though for some deals... Usually I'm too late to get anything. ran into some bargains once but my back went out and the guy sold them b4 I could get there. newish (3 years old) Miller matic 250 wire feed welder. guy had all the reciepts 500 bucks also a gas powered miller gen/welder ac/dc. with only 30 hrs on it. both was gone for grand total of `1200 bucks.
:eek:

Mark

/ Good day at the pawn shop #6  
Yeah, pawn shops want way way way too much for their stuff around here. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Craigslist is also getting full of stuff at near full price. Not much in the way of deals around yet.
jb

/ Good day at the pawn shop #7  
If it says Snap-on ya might as well buy it new since my local pawn shops think Snap-on used is gold.
If it is a brand they do not reconize like Sioux, dotco, ARO or if the name plate is missing on a Matco, Mac or simular brand then I win big and they loose, I just picked up a 300.00 Sioux 3/8 motor for 20.00 and a while back a 300 plus Matco 3/8 composite impact gun for 25.00, the Sioux need a good chuck and a 7.00 trigger valve, I will spend way more for a new quality chuck than the motor.

Pawn shops are hit and miss that is for sure.

/ Good day at the pawn shop
Yeah, pawn shops want way way way too much for their stuff around here. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Craigslist is also getting full of stuff at near full price. Not much in the way of deals around yet.
jb

They want too much for their stuff around here too, but I have found that if you are interested in several items they tend to deal a little better then.

Several years ago I stopped by a yard sale because I saw a generator there. It was a 7500 watt Coleman with a 14.5 hp Briggs electric start engine on it. Asked the guy what he wanted for it and he said $250.00 because it was not putting out any power. Started the engine and it ran fine. Figured the engine alone was worth that. Sold, took it home and stuck a meter to it and the power was fine. Hooked several tools up to it and they all ran fine. Don't know why it wasn't working for him.

Terry

/ Good day at the pawn shop #9  
... Probably another effect of our economy.

I haven't done much in the way of pawn shops, but I'm a habitual craig's list watcher. Lately it seems there's multiple times as much stuff selling for a lot less that it has in the past.

Too bad I already used up most of my spending cash. It's a buyer's heaven right now.

/ Good day at the pawn shop #10  
I'm driving a $500 Ford Ranger 4x4 that I found on Craig's list. I was looking for welder so I could build a trailer.
Any pawn shops I've ever been to wanted too much money or made me nervous because they had way too many car radios in stock.