Tree Felling

/ Tree Felling #1  

flaming-ace

We do a lot of tree felling around our area. Not very often large scale logging, we'll thin woods and even clear fall the odd area, but mostly just falling the odd tree for farmers.

Going back a few months we fell this big Oak tree, it was rotten on the one side and leaning over a lane, so due to health and saftey it had to come down (if it had fallen on a car or someone the farmer would have been liable)

We used an AEC Militant and an AEC Matador to pull the tree over, also used one of our fordson majors to help clear it up.

We are cutting most of the tree up for firewood but some of it we have stored in next summer probably we will be cutting it in to planks with our band saw.

3 part video of the operation
Cutting Down A Huge Oak Tree
My granddad and I helped in the whole thing, but we needed to get some friends who have insurance to fall trees next to roads and what not.
First we got the AEC Matador and Militant into position, climbed the tree and attached the wire ropes around the upper part of the tree (this is not shown in the video)
Then using many stihl chainsaws (we had like 6 there in total) a chunk was taken out of the tree.
Finally the best bit, the two AEC trucks pulled and down came the tree.

Clearing Up The Oak Tree
Heres a video of us clearing up the oak tree, seen being cut down in the previous video.
The AEC Militant and its timber crane and the fordson major were used to clear it up.

The Huge Stihl Chainsaw!
This is our ******* huge sthil chainsaw, i think its like a 4.5ft bar not sure.
Well here it is in action cutting up that oak tree.

Take a look at those video and i would love to here what you think

Thanks for reading/watching!

/ Tree Felling #2  
I personally would have left the tree there. That poor old tree was older then all the men put together working to take it down.

I cut a lot of trees, but big ones like that seem to hold a special place in my heart........

Craig

/ Tree Felling #3  
Great vids. Too bad it had to come down. I have two like that on my place, and they are slowly falling apart. After every storm, I fing large branches on the ground that are too heavey to pick up. One day, I'm worried some body is going to get hurt from those branches. It's on my list to take them down, but I'm stalling and hoping for Mother Nature to help out.

I really like that log handler that you have. Don't know if it's the Matador or the Militant, since I never heard of either of them.

Do you cut it up into firewood and sell it? I just burn mine when I take them down, unless I can get somebody to show up who wants it for free. Most of the time the person who said they wanted some oak firewood never shows up for one reason or another. I have a few waiting on a guy right now, but so for, he's a no show.

Eddie

/ Tree Felling #4  
Don't think I've ever even seen a tree that big let alone cut it down.We still have a few virgin white pine around here. The rest they clear cut 120 years ago.

/ Tree Felling
I personally would have left the tree there. That poor old tree was older then all the men put together working to take it down.

I cut a lot of trees, but big ones like that seem to hold a special place in my heart........

Craig
Yeah same was a shame to see it fall, but it was a health and saftey hazard like i said so it needed to come down.

Great vids. Too bad it had to come down. I have two like that on my place, and they are slowly falling apart. After every storm, I fing large branches on the ground that are too heavey to pick up. One day, I'm worried some body is going to get hurt from those branches. It's on my list to take them down, but I'm stalling and hoping for Mother Nature to help out.

I really like that log handler that you have. Don't know if it's the Matador or the Militant, since I never heard of either of them.

Do you cut it up into firewood and sell it? I just burn mine when I take them down, unless I can get somebody to show up who wants it for free. Most of the time the person who said they wanted some oak firewood never shows up for one reason or another. I have a few waiting on a guy right now, but so for, he's a no show.

Eddie
Its the millitant with the log handler.

Yeah we sell a lot of firewood to people, we split it up and deliver it. Not a bad little weekend business, and it gets rid of all the un wanted limbs from the timber.

/ Tree Felling #6  
I would have let that tree live out as long as it could have. To heck with humans, cars, tractors. That tree was there before all of them!

/ Tree Felling
I would have let that tree live out as long as it could have. To heck with humans, cars, tractors. That tree was there before all of them!
ha sooo true but if it kills someone the health and saftey guy ent gunna see it that way and the farmer would have been liable

/ Tree Felling #8  
Nice videos. We have a maple just a touch smaller in front of our house right next to the road - and it is rotten and generally worries me a lot. Last summer one of the branches went down and it took me 4 hours and 6 full trailers to move that one branch to the burn pile.

I tried to sell it to the electrical company, but they said it is too far. Still if it goes down in wrong direction, it will smite the electrical service to dark ages.;)

/ Tree Felling #9  
Like some of you I just HATE seeing an old grandfather tree coming down. But sometimes I understand why and safety is a big one. The worst is when they cut down a beaut for a stupid reason like a parking lot or something like that.

Interesting vid.

/ Tree Felling
Like some of you I just HATE seeing an old grandfather tree coming down. But sometimes I understand why and safety is a big one. The worst is when they cut down a beaut for a stupid reason like a parking lot or something like that.

Interesting vid.
ye i totally agree with you there, there is no point what so ever if its somthing like that. I heard a story of a tree being cut down because it was getting leaves all over their drive how stupid is that!

ha thanks