How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #1  

ryanbr

Bronze Member
Tractor
White 2-105, Cockshutt 770
I am currently working on insulating my garage and ran into a few minor issues already. I can't seem to find a way to install a 4x8 sheet of 7/16 osb on the ceiling by myself. Its not that its too heavy, its just awkward and hard to position. The obvious answer is to rent a drywall lift but I can think of several other ways to spend the 200bux. Just wondering if anyone else has tried to do this by themselves and/or had ideas to make it a bit easier.

I've tried stilts but its too hard to get into position and very difficult to hold the osb up and put the stilts under. I cant get my tractor in the garage as the doors are only 10ft. After 8 hours I've got 11 sheets up and my arms feel like rubber. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #2  
.... The obvious answer is to rent a drywall lift but I can think of several other ways to spend the 200bux.

$200 sounds high to me, but I didn't note how many sheets/how long you needed it for. I was able to rent one for $36/day at a local rental place and the Home Depot wanted about the same amount.

I wouldn't consider anything but a drywall lift for the ease and precision of placement, especially if you need to work alone.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #4  
build 2 tee shaped supports that are the height of the ceiling out of 2x4's. Place one at each end of the OSB. Lift to ceiling with the tees....one end at a time. You may have to do this in incremental stages...3' up on one side then 3 on the other, etc. Wedge them under when the osb is in the right place. fasten to ceiling.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #5  
I agree.........buy one and sell it later. I bought a cheap red chinese drywall lift:rolleyes:and sad to say I have kept it. I would not own that kind of equipment if I was to earn a living with it but for a couple projects around the house it was money well spent! Plus I don't getting into shouting matches with my wife as we bond together hanging drywall on ceilings:D Much more peace and quite on our remoldeling projects now. Like so many other things once you have one you wonder why you did not get one sooner!

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #6  
i would also try building a cheap, three or four legged perch out of 2x4s that would hold up the sheet a couple of inches from the ceiling. slide the board up on the perch, then use a simple floor jack and a t-bar our of 2x4s to hold one end up firmly. go to the other end and use your hand to press that end into place and put in a few screws. go to the other end and screw it in. lower jack. move scaffolding to next location. finish screwing board in place. repeat.

just out of curiosity, what does osb have to do with insulating a garage? doesn't the insulation just staple up between the rafters? and if you want it finished, isn't drywall cheaper? or how about foam board with a reflective coating on the down facing side? much lighter than osb and adds even more insulation. just curious....

amp

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #7  
build 2 tee shaped supports that are the height of the ceiling out of 2x4's. Place one at each end of the OSB. Lift to ceiling with the tees....one end at a time. You may have to do this in incremental stages...3' up on one side then 3 on the other, etc. Wedge them under when the osb is in the right place. fasten to ceiling.

This actaully works pretty good, I did it with sheetrock. If you can find a helper its even easier. And about anysize helper. Kid, wife, etc. Someone to simply hold up the T while you are holding up the sheet. The height of the T can be fine tuned where will hold the sheet up by itself.

Good Luck!

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #8  
I've tried stilts but its too hard to get into position and very difficult to hold the osb up and put the stilts under. I can't get my tractor in the garage as the doors are only 10ft. After 8 hours I've got 11 sheets up and my arms feel like rubber. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I built a rack about 4 or 5 foot high out of 2x2s and 1x2s using a pallet for the base .
I laid the 4x8 OSB on the rack then picked the whole thing up with the forks of my BX23 and lifted the OBS right up to the 10 foot high ceiling.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #9  
Make a metal piece that will screw to the ceiling joists on one end. shape it like a piece of z channel so that there is a deep lip to insert the OSB into. Slip the OSB into the bracket, and lift the other end, and screw it into the rafters.

$200 to rent a drywall lift??? They rent for like $35/day. You won't need it for very long, it goes pretty fast. I can easily hang a garage ceiling, with drywall, in less than a day. And I work alone.

The others are right about buying one, and reselling it, when your done. As long as you buy a "real" one. (Get a Telpro), you can get your money back just about any time you want. I have found all kinds of creative uses for mine, such as putting up things like awnings by myself, and may never sell it.

/ How to hang 4X8 OSB on ceiling #10  
Make up either one or two of these.

Place the piece of OSB on the ceiling in the right spot (requires two hands and the top of your head -- lean the "T" against your ladder in easy reach), wedge the "T" between the OSB and the floor with the top of the "T" about in the center of the OSB. The long dimension of the 2x4 is not critical, a couple inches longer than the distance from floor to ceiling and you can wedge it in place.

Move your ladder to one edge and start to screw it in place.

I have always been able to do it with only one, but I can see how a second one would allow fine placement after the sheet is roughed into place.

I would put drywall up instead of OSB, less cost and more fire resistant, especially in a garage. Check your building code (just call the building department) you may need 5/8" drywall for fire resistance.

Attachments

• Drywall T.jpg
    Drywall T.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,236