Road costing advise or opinions!

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #1  

SamWalton

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26 TBL
We have cleared our 800 foot drive way through the woods and have taken our driveway as far as our B26 will allow we have spoken with a local contractor to get a shale base delivered. The formula is as follows: Driveway distance X width X depth \ 27 = Cubic Yards. A dump truck carries up to 16 Tons of Shale or 8 cubic yards compacted. Example 800Ft X 12Ft X 1Ft / 27 = 355.6 Cubic Yards / 8 Cubic Yards per Truck = 44.4 Loads x $80 = $3552 Plus Dozer work. He was asking a $250 deliver fee and $90 per hour estimating a $1000 to complete the work. I think he is off on the prices. Anyone please give opinions! Thanks

Last edited:
   / Road costing advise or opinions! #2  
Most trucks around here will carry 20 tons of material. But anyways, his price may not be that far out, if he is waiting on loads to be delivered as he spreads. $90/hr is not all that high, escpecially the way the price of diesel has been. Your putting in a long drive, I would spend the extra $$ and put fabric under it all. I'm sure some people will disagree, but I would put it in.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #3  
From the pictures it looks as though he could tailgate spread the rock. I'm not familiar with shale base, here we use granite, but we spread most of the rock with the truck and only dress it with a tractor or dozer. If you are planning on building and there will be construction traffic I would use a larger stone such as 4's or surge stone and then come back after construction and put down a layer of 57's or GAB.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #4  
Can you find a guy with a larger truck? That would save you some delivery fee.

The truck should be able to drop the load while driving forward leaving a pretty good uniform drop. Your tractor with back blade or box blade (even a cheap one) could spread it out. I too would put fabric under. It's insurance against the rock migrating down and you needing to put down more rock.

Still, for you sitting and watching and it getting done quick the price aint that bad.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #5  
I'll be watching this thread with interest. Not much shale available around here so #2 base or plain stone is usually the cover of choice. I've got about 1100' to cover.

Driveway.jpg

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #6  
We just put in a 2600' road with 6" of gravel run 12' wide in north texas (about 30 miles south of the Red River). We had all the gravel delivered when gas was at the peak, Sept 08, wish I would have done it now. The price for all the gravel was 10k. $90 per hour seems about right. Will he use a dozer or a motor grader? If he is a good operate he can do it well with a dozer but a motor grader can cut a perfect line.

One thing we did; was make sure that the base (dirt) sat from a long time almost 1 year. I cut away around 4" of top soil and brough in new clean soil and spread. Once this soil was compacted for almost a year we could get an idea of where the water was causing problems before we put down the road gravel. Not removing the grass and not crowning the road correctly will make any gravel road fail. You need to make sure that all the water will shed away from the road and not pool on the road base, and that there is not organic matter growing or in the dirt. I will post some pics later.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #7  
Will water drainage be a problem on the road?

Just looking at the prepared base it would seem a regular road grader could do some very useful finishing work. ie, level, crown and even put in some ditches.

The gravel trucks should be able to spread the gravel.

You tractor with a back blade should be able to finish spreading the gravel.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #8  
I second the use of a geotextile fabric like Mirafi if you can afford it. Also, what is the price of recycled concrete going for in your area. My neighbor has it and the lime in the concrete seems to help keep the weeds at bay; but they don't have fabric under the crushed concrete.

My guess is that the prices quoted you are reasonable.

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #9  
First off, a lot of these newer trucks have hot shift PTO;s and cannot raise body and drive spreading materials at the same time. Some guys can raise their body, shut off their PTO and spread as best they can. Not many are willing to do this. Second, fuel and insurance on dump trucks are beyond reasonable now.. Even though gas is under two dollars per gallon, fuel is still closer to three dollars per gallon, Around here, a tri axle driver with no accidents, no tickets or other problems what so ever, are paying eleven grand per year in insurance,.. within two years they will be paying a thousand a month,.. Trucks costs 150 grand plus,, They only get five year notes even though the truck cost like a house,, A home can get 30 yr payoff's. A truck, 5,. It is common to hear the guys say 2800 per month and up for payment, So, the guy is well within reason even though you do not think so.,

/ Road costing advise or opinions! #10  
First off, a lot of these newer trucks have hot shift PTO;s and cannot raise body and drive spreading materials at the same time. Some guys can raise their body, shut off their PTO and spread as best they can

The few things I am familiar with are all in the past. Could you please explain this more fully for our benefit. Thank you.:D