Pole Barn or No Pole Barn

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #1  

JoelD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004
I've been looking long and hard for a proper storage place for my Kioti and other misc. stuff, snowblower, lawn tractor, leaf vac, etc.

Any thoughts on a pole barn.

I just struggle with paying for foundation work, big money where I'm at.

Thanks,
Joel

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #2  
pole barns are and still the cheapest way to go other then building a carport and then later enclose the bottom and back when money is right. With a pole barn- no real foundation is needed as long you are in a well drained area. You can always add crusher run stone at a later date if money permit it. others here on tbn may have other thoughts/ideas.

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #3  
I agree with radioman, they are the most cost effective way to build a permanent structure. The allow you to build the roof and walls without any other major expense. Some have eve built them on uneven, or sloping land with the goal of leveling out the inside at a later date.

Like all barns and storage buildings, the toughest part will be how big to make it. You will never have enough room, and ten minutes after you start building it, it will be too small. It's just one of those facts of life that we all have to live with.

The width of the barn will affect how much, or how easy it is for your trusses. I make my own, but you can have them built from most of the box stores. Then you will have to find a way to get them up there. This requires help and something to pick them up. Some people have done this with their tractors, but most contractors use a crane of some sort.

For siding, metal is your best choice, but 4x8 sheet material will be the cheapest. Unfortunately, they all start to wear on you fairly quickly and require allot of maintenance to keep up.

For your roof, yo have either metal or shingles. Each have their own type of roof structure. Metal allows you to use purlins to attach the metal. This allows you to spread out your trusses and use fewer of them. I build mine on 4 ft centers and use 2x4's on the flat. You can go 6 ft centers and use 2x4 on the edge. Going further apart means larger lumber. Depending on snow loads and roof pitch, this may or may not work for you. It's really important to build your roof according to the conditions of your area.

If you do some searches here on pole barns, you'll have more reading and pictures to look at then you'll be able to absorb. There are allot of threads on them, and a wealth of information.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #4  
I've been looking long and hard for a proper storage place for my Kioti and other misc. stuff, snowblower, lawn tractor, leaf vac, etc.

Any thoughts on a pole barn.

I just struggle with paying for foundation work, big money where I'm at.

Thanks,
Joel
Then go with a pole building !

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #5  
I have the beginnings of a plan for a 30w x 40 pole barn next year. Plan to do one 10x10 overhead door in the center to keep costs down and going with 12' side walls. I did a Menards estimate for the materials and it came to about $7800. with 2' overhangs and a walk door insulated roof (only) and more "upgrades". I got a neighbor who is a contractor that's going to price me a similar (maybe better quality) building as well as his labor to erect. Also, considering a roof extension for a "lean to" on the lee side of the building for implement storage.

Been considering either crushed rock for the floor or 4" concrete with some rebar reinforcement and old wire around the outside, lower traffic areas. I want to store my tractor and implements as well as a 22 foot boat and trailer in the winter. The crushed rock concerns me some...as I get concerned mice and burrowing critters will get into the boat upholstery.

My question is: does anyone have a good estimate of the concrete costs for the 4" floor at today's prices? I know its a major cost....but a nice even floor makes life so much better. :D

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #6  
Depends on several factors, but I'd think a ballpark would be $3.50 to $4.00 a square foot, so you're in the area of $4k. I'd think that today you'd be able to get several estimates from area concrete folks, who are't very busy.

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn
Thanks guys, I'll search for threads.

Would be great to have a permanent structure for my stuff.

Joel

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #8  
Eddiewalker, how about sharing how you make your own trusses and why you choose to build them yourself? I'm curious whether you use those metal connectors with the teeth in them or how you build your trusses.

JoelD, there's a book you can probably find pretty easily called "practical Pole Building Construction" by Leigh Seddon that has some basic plans in it.

Someone on TBN suggested pouring a slab and setting steel cargo containers on either side with an opening in the middle, and then covering the whole thing with a pitched roof--which makes a lot of sense to me.

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #9  
I have the beginnings of a plan for a 30w x 40 pole barn next year. Plan to do one 10x10 overhead door in the center to keep costs down and going with 12' side walls. I did a Menards estimate for the materials and it came to about $7800. with 2' overhangs and a walk door insulated roof (only) and more "upgrades". I got a neighbor who is a contractor that's going to price me a similar (maybe better quality) building as well as his labor to erect. Also, considering a roof extension for a "lean to" on the lee side of the building for implement storage.

Been considering either crushed rock for the floor or 4" concrete with some rebar reinforcement and old wire around the outside, lower traffic areas. I want to store my tractor and implements as well as a 22 foot boat and trailer in the winter. The crushed rock concerns me some...as I get concerned mice and burrowing critters will get into the boat upholstery.

My question is: does anyone have a good estimate of the concrete costs for the 4" floor at today's prices? I know its a major cost....but a nice even floor makes life so much better. :D
cement floor is the best

/ Pole Barn or No Pole Barn #10  
Depends on several factors, but I'd think a ballpark would be $3.50 to $4.00 a square foot, so you're in the area of $4k. I'd think that today you'd be able to get several estimates from area concrete folks, who are't very busy.

I just did a 36 by 64 floor for $8500. That is about 3.70 a square foot. But mine needed a pump and operator for a day, fiber, acclerator (poured in cold), also steps framed in and poured in addition, was 5-5.5 inches thick. It was poured over radiant tubes and the cost is usually abit more because of extra that needs to be done to protect the tubes--just slows the crew a bit. People in most areas are hungry for work and will cut a deal--especially if you can prep the site well so they can just concentrate on the pour. Hope this helps as a cost point. I am in NE Ohio...recession central!
Peter