Insulated Well House

/ Insulated Well House
Kfbeal,

I don't know if I will have a problem with the OSB or not. The only OSB is on the roof and it would be easy to replace, rip a few shingles off. Everything was put together with screws.

I agree it is interesting how things are done differently around the country.

/ Insulated Well House #32  
I would think if you put the drip edge it wouldn't really bother it for many years. Mine stood for about 6 years before crumpling when Hurricane Ike hit, although we only suffered 40-50 mph winds here. I guess rain and moisture got to it eventually.

I like your hinged roof idea. Many people forget about the time the well goes out and they have to cut a hole in the roof or find some other method of getting the well out. I just planned on putting fork extensions on my FEL and pick my whole well house up.

/ Insulated Well House #33  
David, your well is gonna feel really cozy in there. Nice job!

One thing I noticed and it immediately jumped out at me. I've had some experience with roofs over OSB and I can tell you that you need a drip edge around the top and sides of the shingles. If possible, even seal between the drip edge and the shingles. Water will get under the edge of the shingles and your OSB will soon start to rot for 4-6" all around the edge of the shingles. You can help by leaving 1" of shingle overlap on the sides, but water will still find its way to the OSB eventually. Drip edge metal edgeing is very cheap and should be installed before the shingles, but I think you can add it successfully afterwards, especially since your roof is so easy to get to.

Jinman,

Just read your previous post about the aquifer where you live. I am in Springtown and must be in the first one you mentioned, because our waters' hardness scale is off the chart.

I guess if I ever have to have it drilled again I will know better next time.