Road Maintenance

/ Road Maintenance #1  

Ozarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I have seen a number of posts about road maintenance and fixing problem areas and thought I would post a link to a new surfacing method that I have read about. Haven't tried it myself but it looks promising and not overly expensive. I may try it.

http://www.polypavement.com/

/ Road Maintenance #2  
I just checked out their website, and the stuff looks interesting. Reminds me of soil cement... except that this is probably some kind of polimer / resin, etc.

Soundguy

/ Road Maintenance
That is exactly what I thought of as well. But it looks more promising than road cement......more permanent.

I have been reading all the posts about road maintenance and fixing problem areas and was doing a search on the various types of materials that I had seen others post about when I accidentally stumbled on that site. It is obviously new since they don't seem to have much of a distribution channel. Looks like the smallest quantity you can get it in is nine 5 gal pails on a pallet for nearly $800.

/ Road Maintenance #4  
Click on this link. There was a discussion about this a couple of months ago.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=off&Number=106043&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=off&Number=106043&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1</A>

/ Road Maintenance
Thanks Mike. Guess I missed that one.

/ Road Maintenance #6  
"than road cement......more permanent"

I don't know.. soil cement is fairly permanent...but who knows.. if applied thick enough, this resin may be too.

I wonder about reclamation. Asphalt and cement can be reclaimed and put to good use.. as stabilizer and surface treatment.. I wonder what the reclamation possibilities are for this material. Perhaps it is a price issue as it may not be reclaimable.. but cheap enought to overlook, etc.

Soundguy

/ Road Maintenance
I have no real experience with any of it other than a few years ago the county was doing the "road cement" think around here. Didn't seem to last past the first freeze but maybe they were doing it wrong. They dumped it, spread it and let traffic pack it.

Couple of years ago they did a few stretches with reclaimed asphalt and that seems to be working well.

On my drive, a neighbor put river rock on it a few years ago and that lasted about 4 years with just a little bit of erosion. A few weeks ago another neighbor was going to do some work at a new home site close by and he said he would fix my drive while he was at it. When I came home that night, I had a nightmare in my driveway. He had "fixed" it, a lot, with a dozer and spread a load of gravel on it. But the gravel can better be described as small boulders. I can drive it with my truck but my wife has been having to drive through the front yard since the "incident".

Now I have to fix it and so far nave just made it worse. I need to do something but not sure exactly what. I just recently got a tractor and am new to actually doing anything with them. I can fix em', just never tried to work em'.

So far I have succeeded in making a bigger mess out of my drive....but I am learning. I have been trying to move the big rocks to the side and bring the small stuff to the center but I am just about the point where I think I might have to hire someone to come in and remove the stuff that was put down and do it right.

That's why I bought a tractor tho. I convinced my wife, and myself, that I could do it myself cheaper then have equipment to do all those other things around here. Now I'm thinking that maybe city boys and tractors don't mix well. Maybe I should stick to the wrenches and leave the dirt and gravel work to those who know what they are doing.

Of course if I was a rich man I would just have it paved.....

/ Road Maintenance #8  
Half the fun of owning a tractor is figuring out what to do and how to do it. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif It sounds like you need to get rid of the big rocks in your driveway. Then you need to make sure your driveway has a properly graded and compacted base. The road should be crowned slightly so water drains off to either side, and the road should be higher than whatever is off to either side. Then it needs to be covered uniformly with something like 5/8 crushed rock and either compacted with a compactor or "wheel rolled" (driven over with your truck a bunch of times) to compact it. This is how I have gone about fixing screwed up driveways, maybe in your neck of the woods it's done differently with different materials. BTW, I'm a city boy and my tractor and I get along just fine after about 75 hours of seat time. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Road Maintenance
Thanks....

I'll figure it out but my wife is getting impatient with me already. She grew up on a farm and is accustomed to men who work dirt.

I spend the day widening the parking area behind my house and got a little better at it. Only had to redo it three times. :)

/ Road Maintenance #10  
Sounds like they did it wrong ( At least different than we do here anyway ). Freezing is always going to be hard on expanses of concrete, etc. Here, we take the mill run, lay it in the subgrade, roll it, and then wet it. We also cut expansion joints every 'x' feet.

Soundguy

"I have no real experience with any of it other than a few years ago the county was doing the "road cement" think around here. Didn't seem to last past the first freeze but maybe they were doing it wrong. They dumped it, spread it and let traffic pack it. "