Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I am danger close to building my workshop / garage / barn.

Going to be 60 X 40 with 12 1/2' eave height.

Going to start with a slider on each side, centered. (the 60' length)

Thinking of going with a 10' door, so I would have room ot put a wing overhang on it later if desired while staying under the other roof.

Looks like my hoe will sneak under a 10' door if I lay down the hoe part, could stand it back up after I was through the door.

Anyone have some insight or reccomendations as too which way too go before I commit?

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #2  
Same as your garage can never be big enough, your door can never be big enough. How about a door on the gable end(short wall) so you can pull in long stuff, like truck and trailer. Even if you can't afford the doors frame in the headers. Then as your budget allows all you will have to do is remove some siding and a few purlins or studs. Much easier than adding the headers afterwards. Good luck, eddy622611

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #3  
A 12' polebarn sidewall = 10' door free span.

10' door free span = 8.5' freespan with a rollup garage door & opener.

You say sliders now but with use will want a GDO.

Gable end doors will reduce the rain snow falling on the driveway apron. If concrete no problem but dirt/mud will drag in the barn.

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #4  
A 10' door with a 12' ceiling is about as high of an overhead door as you can go with standard radius tracks. Low clearance tracks are more money and don't work as smooth. You can go up to 20' wide. Good quality overhead doors with operators installed by a professional is the only way to go. Upfront cost seams high, but if you figure 365 days a year it dosen't take to many years till your down to pennies a day as far as cost goes. Do only one at time if that is all your budget will allow. This is money you will never regret spending. Especially as you get older. If you can swing it go for it you will glad you did. Happy New Year, eddy622611

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #5  
A 10' x 10' door is small when it comes to equipment. I built a 42' x 42' pole barn and added over head doors. 2 10x10 and 1 12x12. The 10'ers will just allow my GMC 5500 in, but real tight on mirrors. New F350's etc.. have the wide mirrors etc..... It's a pita to pull in mirrors every time you go through. I'd recommend 12' wide no matter what you do. I wish I had.

Good luck.

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #6  
Gable end with some overhang to keep the rain out. Doors on both ends so that you can drive through if need be and get a nice breeze in the summer. 10x12 minimum. Bigger if you can swing it. Gable end doors let you pull long rigs inside and leave the side walls for storage, tool, and/or work bench areas. The doors don't have to be the same size on both ends, nor do they have to be centered.

A 3/4 HP Craftsman GDO will operate at least a 10x16 door with no problem. Have the door professionally installed, but install the garage door opener yourself. Consider setting the electric eyes high enough that they won't shoot under high ground clearance equipment parked in the doorway. Nothing like having someone accidently push a button and having a door come down on your nice shiny tractor. This will violate the safety gods rules, so think about it before you do it. You may also be able to add a second set of eyes.

If you can, orient the building so that the open doors get you light and breeze where and when you need it. Having just the right doors on your shop is great. Being able to close them from the house when a sudden shower pops up is priceless.

Besides it's fun to watch stray cats and dogs come tearing out of there, when the doors start coming down unexpectedly. :D

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #7  
When I was having buildings put up, I found out it didn't cost that much more to go up. I bet if you check you well find a 14' side wall well not be that much more. Then you can have a nice 12X12 door and you well like it.
I had one put up that had 16' or 18' side walls I can't remember for sure, but the price went way,way,way up. Also on the 14' you get some real nice storage room over the bath room, office, ect.
If you put your door in the side wall made sure you have nice over hang. I think that was said before.
My shop now is only 10' now but not pulling big stuff in it, wish it was 14' just for the storage up above.

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #8  
I recall your wife does landscaping... any thoughts that she may want to load the truck/trailer- skid loader(Bob) or tractor or backhoe on a trailer the night before or come in from a day she got rained out and leave things loaded and under roof? We have 10' under truss and its VERY close with a tractor on a deckover with the ROPS not folded, we fold them down so we don't take out any lights. Or would she want to store bulk shredded dirt in a corner of the barn using the dump trailer? I don't know how high those things need to clear to dump.

/ Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #9  
I had to make the same decision a few years back. I wound up with a 48 x 60 x 16 with 14ft doors. The max legal height in my state is 13 ft 6 in, so I can now fit any legal height load inside. The truck and trailer in the picture were parked inside all loaded up and ready to go the night before we left with it for a 600 mile trip. Another advantage is my dad's 5th wheel will fit inside when we need to work on it. It was also a lot easier to pour the concrete floor as the trucks just drove in. The extra height will cost a little more, but it is well worth it in the end and it will also have a better resale value. My dad built his several years back and now wishes it was taller as his trailer will not fit inside. Good luck with it.

Attachments

• 2007 F350 and TC40D.JPG
    2007 F350 and TC40D.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 2,437
  • inside barn 2.jpg
    inside barn 2.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 11,205
   / Garage / Barn Door height for Tractor / backhoe #10  
I am danger close to building my workshop / garage / barn.

Looks like my hoe will sneak under a 10' door if I lay down the hoe part, could stand it back up after I was through the door.

The day will come when you will forget to lay down the hoe and you will have a repair job more costly than a door high enough to just drive right through.

I will never build a booby trap for myself.