when to mow horse pasture

/ when to mow horse pasture #1  

mjhoover

hello all,
planted our pasture last fall and its now 2 feet high!
my question is how and when should we mow it.
our horses are being boarded now because our barn is not
done yet. i'm afraid if we brush hog the pasture it will smother out the grass unless we remove the cuttings somehow. baling really is not an option either. any thoughts?
thanks, mark

/ when to mow horse pasture #2  
This is by no means professional advice, just observations from a guy who has some livestock.

My horses and cows generally won't eat the 'black tops' or the stemmy part of bahai. ( Timothy is another story ).

I have a few pastures I keep closed off, and let the grass go to seed, then I mow it. I will then wait about a week or less, then drag it with my pasture drag. ( chain harrow )
Works pretty good for me.

Your millage may vary, but unlsee you have sheep, goats, or hungry cattly.. the high stemmy stuff probably won't get eat.

Soundguy

/ when to mow horse pasture
soundguy, when you drag it do you try to take the cuttings(stems)off the pasture or does it just break them down so it doesnt
smother out the other grasses? what type/brand of drag do you have? also, how high do you mow your pastures?
thanks for the reply! mark

/ when to mow horse pasture #4  
I drag it to break it up or dethatch it a bit. I usually leave the clippings, as the seeds will mostly fall off, and as the clippings dry in a week or so, I have noticed the horses / cows will then eat it.
I don't know what brand of drag I have as it was a handmedown gift from my stepfather.. but it is an 6x8 heavy harrow similar to the ones tsc carries. Big heavy tines.

Usually at about 6" . That way my animals don't ravish it as much. It is funny to see them eating the winrowed clippings after mowing though.

Soundguy

""soundguy, when you drag it do you try to take the cuttings(stems)off the pasture or does it just break them down so it doesnt
smother out the other grasses? what type/brand of drag do you have? also, how high do you mow your pastures?
thanks for the reply! mark ""

/ when to mow horse pasture #5  
mj,
Don't worry about the clippings. If you've got a good brush hog it will chop them up so that you won't kill any of the grass. I usually will try and mow the grass about every two - four weeks. This will keep the weeds down and encourage new growth. The more you mow the better and thicker your grass is going to grow in.

/ when to mow horse pasture
thank you soundguy & cowboydoc!
mark

/ when to mow horse pasture #7  
Doc is right, (as if there was any doubt), mowing your pastures makes them better, as long as the clippings get chopped up. If you are using a bush hog, and go a little slow since your grass is so tall right now, you should have no problems. Even when your animals are out there foraging, you will still want to mow, as the horses will eat the grass down to the ground before they touch the weeds, and then your grass will lose out to the weeds. By mowing the weeds down, you give the grass a fighting chance.