Recycled Asphalt

/ Recycled Asphalt #11  
All -

Do a search of TBN with the work "millings" and you will see my remarks on using this material.

1. We have 5-6 miles of roads in our subdivision that we have maintained using this material. Mixed results.
2. Sunlight areas are the best for this material.
3. Shaded or moisture ridden areas should be avoided. Unless you can get it to bond with tar, used oil, or diesel/kerosene. Even that has mixed results.
4. Depends upon the age of the material. We have gotten some that has bonded well. Gotten other loads that does no better than gravel.
5. My 200' foot driveway is paved with it. The top half gets a lot of sun. It is stable. The bottom half is on a hill and is shaded. I will have to have it redone in the next couple of years. The materials are flaking away and are now a part of the road!!!
6. IMHO - I would think twice about using it in Michigan. Unless it can be compacted, "rewetted", and rolled.

In fact, our community is having a "pot-hole" party tomorrow (depending on the weather) to fill in some pot-holes and correct some badly eroded areas. I saw the millings and they seem to be dry and not well grinded. Have to see how they hold up.

Terry

/ Recycled Asphalt #12  
I have used this material in Alaska, it has held up on rural roads, in -25 winters, for 3 to 5 years the secret is mix it with a heated oil water solution (i.e. cutback). Usually available cheaply through driveway or road paving contractors. Make sure its mixed into the material not just sprayed on top. Lay it out to grade, and compact it in with a vibratory compactor. The result will be a surface almost as hard as asphalt. It will be more porous though , so make sure your subbase alows for drainage. Once it finally unravels you can break the rest of up and redo it again the same way. Its also flexible enoughto hold up to some fairly substantle frost heave.

/ Recycled Asphalt #13  
If it lasts 3-5 years in Alaska with it's colder climate, then I would think it could last longer in the lower 48.

Cutback???!!!??? This is done by the contractor I would imagine and mixed at the contractors site. We typically just get the millings delivered as is and have them spread and rolled. What is the cost differential?

Terry

/ Recycled Asphalt #14  
That is cheaper than in florida, which is about 18 bucks a ton. Good material, we have made quite few driveways and parking lots out of it, and it compacts well.

"I just had a load delivered about 2 weeks ago. Its more expensive here I guess, as the 18 ton load cost $160 delivered. I had a few big chunks left in it, but overall it worked well."

"One trick that I heard through the grape-vine is to spray the surface with diesel fuel using a garden sprayer. That will cause the remain tar to "melt" slightly and as it dries it will set up as a solid surface.

I know that this is probably a violation of regulations in some states, and the person who told me about it, said to do it at night. Just providing information, so use this information with caution "

I would advise against this, whether it works well or not... Diesel doesn't evaporate appreciably. For what you are thinking of, probably asphalt paint ( for fences ) or driveway sealer will do about the same thing, but it's volatiles will evaporate, and it is designed to be used without control measures in the open environment, etc.

Soundguy

/ Recycled Asphalt #15  
esalasimi,

We used recycled asphalt on our 628 foot driveway for the last couple of years until we were able to save up and get it done with "real" asphalt. The recycled stuff worked really well. It was not as dusty, stayed in place much better than 5/8 crushed rock, and almost makes a solid surface. The only drawback we had was the fact that there were chunks of asphalt in the truckloads. We got the stuff for nothing so we didn't complain at all.

/ Recycled Asphalt #16  
I have a chance to get recycled asphalt road base at a really good price. I want to use it like gravel around a barn. Is it toxic to my horses feet? Is it toxic to feed hay on the area its laid down on? Thanks.