Recycled Asphalt

/ Recycled Asphalt #1  

Anonymous Poster

Has anyone used Recycled Asphalt on road or driveway, local gravel dealer has tons of it and it is cheaper than road gravel. Would like to know how it compares to gravel. Live in Northern Michigan and what effect does cold have to it..

/ Recycled Asphalt #2  
Don't know what effect the cold would have on it, but it sure was nice on my brother's circle drive down here in Texas. It compacted better than gravel, stayed in place better, and was cleaner.

/ Recycled Asphalt #3  
I haven't used it myself but the county is putting it on some rural roads around here. Works a lot better than just gravel.

/ Recycled Asphalt #4  
I use it on my drive way (3/4 Mile). It works great. I am getting ready to add more to the drive because I have slacked in the past 3 years. I think a key to is heat an compaction. I usually do it in the summer time when it is warm and then drive on it until it is compacted with my truck. It takes a little while for everything to get settled but once it is set up I can plow snow on it with out taking all the gravel off the road.

/ Recycled Asphalt #5  
Yep, after this coming Sunday, I'll have moved and spread 340 tons of the stuff. It does pack together well. I made the mistake of getting the "regular" single grind for the first couple of loads, then one of the drivers pointed out that the "double" grind was only $30 more per load. The single seems to be best for laying a thicker base layer. If you have a good base then the double grind is almost like laying cold asphalt; spread, roll and done. Best thing for us, is that it's almost dust free. We were getting single grind for free, but like everything else, as of yesterday they want $70 a load (single to triaxle) and $100 for double grind. Plus hauling fees.

/ Recycled Asphalt #6  
I just had a load delivered about 2 weeks ago. Its more expensive here I guess, as the 18 ton load cost $160 delivered. I had a few big chunks left in it, but overall it worked well.

One trick that I heard through the grape-vine is to spray the surface with diesel fuel using a garden sprayer. That will cause the remain tar to "melt" slightly and as it dries it will set up as a solid surface.

I know that this is probably a violation of regulations in some states, and the person who told me about it, said to do it at night. Just providing information, so use this information with caution /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Jon

/ Recycled Asphalt #7  
Jon, the guys my brother got his recycled asphalt from also told him to wait for a hot day, spray it with diesel, and roll it, and it would be just like any other asphalt driveway. He intended to do that, but then later decided it just wasn't necessary.

There's also a sign on the side of the road on I-35 that's been there as long as I can remember saying that section of I-35 (18 miles, I believe) is recycled asphalt. It's as good a stretch of road as any on either side of there.

/ Recycled Asphalt #8  
The truck load that I spread has already become "crusty". I wouldnt think you would need to roll it if it was added to an established road. The place where I put this was on soft dirt, so I need to get another load and then compact it somehow. Think driving over it repeatedly with my truck would work?

Jon

/ Recycled Asphalt #9  
A lawn roller filled with water works somewhat. When you have the next one delivered, ask the driver to run up and down a couple of times. This works better if your offering him a cold beverage at the same time.

/ Recycled Asphalt #10  
Jon, what my brother had put down was on top of pretty good road base material that had been there awhile. He did have one low spot with soft dirt that caused some problems right at the culvert at one end of the driveway. I think putting it on soft dirt might not work too well.