Clearing land

/ Clearing land #1  

RWolf

Gold Member
Tractor
Current, Power King (antique), Soon to have JD 5103
Started clearing my 25ac of cedar brush/trees. I have in the past used my truck and "snatched" them out of the ground with a tow strap. This time around I figured I'd use my tractor. Only down side is when I went to use the tractor a couple of days later I found a flat tire (on the rear of course) so I have to fix that before continuing. Average trunk size is from 3-4 inches up to about 10. The one pictured is one of the largests I've pulled so far.

Attachments

• DSC01336.JPG
    DSC01336.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC01337.JPG
    DSC01337.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 438
   / Clearing land #2  
Those look like they'll come up pretty easy. When I was clearing a little field I had some Hackberrys that were 24-28" dbh. Dug around them with the backhoe, pushed them over and sawed away the logs/limbs. Stumps were rolled to the woodline and holes were backfilled/disked stump holes

I saw a video of bruch land being cleared out west and they usd two dozer swith a massive chain stretched between them. Cutter clades were bolted to the chain and they just drove along pullin the chain between them and ripping out every thing in the way, mainly pinon pines.

09-08-08offload001.jpg

/ Clearing land
There not bad. On the larger ones I have to push against them to break loose some of the roots then I can pull them up. After I get these done and the land disc'd and seeded I'll be doing a cross fence and starting on the other 15 +/- ac. Hopefully withing a year or two I won't be so reliant on buying hay for the winter.

/ Clearing land #4  
that's a beautiful field!

this gives me even more inspiration to clea off that back field that is all grown up.....

Those look like they'll come up pretty easy. When I was clearing a little field I had some Hackberrys that were 24-28" dbh. Dug around them with the backhoe, pushed them over and sawed away the logs/limbs. Stumps were rolled to the woodline and holes were backfilled/disked stump holes

I saw a video of bruch land being cleared out west and they usd two dozer swith a massive chain stretched between them. Cutter clades were bolted to the chain and they just drove along pullin the chain between them and ripping out every thing in the way, mainly pinon pines.

09-08-08offload001.jpg

/ Clearing land #5  
It's a lot of work but kinda fun isn't it? Especially after seeing the end product. I've got about 80 more acres of clearing and I'd like to do the same as you but sprigging some Jigs or Alicia hay in there.

Is that a bale spear up front? It looks homemade if so, and was wondering if you have pics of it? I'm looking to build a complete unit for mine instead of what I made.

/ Clearing land
Yep, that's a homemade spear. The spear itself is purchased from Agrisupply but the frame is built in the garage. Used 3x3x3/16 box. I'll post some pictures of the frame as soon as I can get some. So far my JD has done everything I've asked of it.

/ Clearing land #8  
Once I got my clutch adjusted, I finally felt the power of my 5103. It's a nice tractor at a nice cost. It won't push what my father-in-law's backhoe does, but will do most anything I need.

I have all the material with 3 x 3 x 3/16" and the spear with collar. I just never built it. I used the 4 x 4 x 1/4" I already had and hooked my rear bale spear into it.

Sorry for robbing your thread. Don't forget to post pictures of it when you are complete. I need to go take pictures of mine, although I'm a little embarassed of the before pictures.

/ Clearing land
If you're talking about welding then don't be embarassed. You should see my splatter zones. In building this project a friend of mine did the welding (he was dying to try out his new welder).

And your right the 5103 is a great tractor. I'm approching 100hrs and my first service. Tonight or tomorrow I have to fix a flat (rear:( ). If I can break torque on the wheel bolts that will save me a $50 service fee.

/ Clearing land #10  
Yea, those fees will get you. Mine have tubes and the time I had a flat (it was a slow leak) I drove it to the farmers coop close by. Luckily it's only 3 miles or so away. It's great to have a coop out in the country.

Just be careful with the wheel. Those things tend to be heavy and awkward.

I used to be a fairly decent welder. When I was welding up the other one, first time welding in a few years, my yellow lab kept running off with my cables jerking my electrode, pulling on my gloves so I have a reason those looked terrible. ;) I pinned him up and he just crawled through the holes under the fence he dug.

Last edited: