New guy with a fire pit

/ New guy with a fire pit #1  

aggiehortguy91

Silver Member
Tractor
'01 BX2200
I've been lurking around here for a while. I've had my '01 BX 2200 for a couple of years now and this board has been very helpful.

Now that I have finally registered, I thought I'd show off one of the projects I was able to do with this diesel-powered little wonder. In fact, I decided that I should share while I was splitting wood. Yes, I know that this wood pile wouldn't get me through the night where some of you live. But down here in S. FL, we would have to run the A/C if we build a fire in the fireplace! :eek:

IMG_2690.jpg

Yes, that is an electric log splitter! Hey, it's not like I'm splitting big pieces of hard maple. Most of the wood on that rack is Australian Pine, which is actually not a pine at all and, in fact, burns clean enough that I use it in my smoker. I do have some Acacia on there, too. The Acacia and the Australian Pine are both invasive exotics down here so cutting firewood also clears exotic pests off of my property. Killing 2 birds with one stone!

All of this vast supply of wood :D is for our little fire pit that I put in about a year and a half ago. We actually had a place to burn wood before this project, but it was in need of a makeover. I had to move a retaining wall and about 20 yards of soil and then regrade the area before laying the pavers. I was lucky enough to find the perfect pallet of "seconds" at the local paver manufacturer.

FirepitConst.jpg

I just set the pavers on top of the finished grade because the whole area is just sand anyway and there won't be any vehicle weight put on the pavers. The water in the background is actually our pond, but in the wet season it tends overflow a bit.

Now, it is the dry season so it will give my firewood time to cure before I can use it. I'm just too nervous about causing a fire. This picture of the finished pit shows the current pond level, which is down about 7' from the picture above.

FirePit.jpg

I used 300 sq ft of pavers for the project, but only had to cut a few to make things fit since I was willing to live with some fairly large gaps around the fire pit. I used paver edging to help hold the edges in place, and put down St. Augustine sod for the turf areas. I filled between the pavers with straight paver sand and broomed it in. It took me 2 days (not 8 to 5!) to lay all of the pavers and I had forgotten how much I disliked doing paver work. But it is rewarding to see the finished project and sit around the fire with a cold one.

/ New guy with a fire pit #2  
Very nice job. You sure blended it in nicely with the existing landscape.

/ New guy with a fire pit #3  
Nice job, Alwasy good to rub in the good weather this time of year to us northerners LOL:D
Seriously looks good. Im relaxed just looking at it always wanted something like that

/ New guy with a fire pit #4  
Nice work, and form Oregon, that is a "cute" stack of firewood...:D

/ New guy with a fire pit #5  
Very nice. :D

Now I'm waiting anxiously for the Bitter cold to leave our area so we can get out to THE PLAY FARM and enjoy a fire on our "Fire Hill"!:D

The deafening crescendo of Frogs and Toads, Birds, the splash of a fish in the lake and the Full Moon shinning down illuminating a little chunk Nirvana!:D

/ New guy with a fire pit #7  
Looks great! I was down at my fire pit recently. The snow has all melted, and the pit is filled with branches I picked up on the "lawn". Found out I have to renew my burn permit if I'm not cooking. Last summer, I had a bunch of my sailing buddies down for a campout. We kept searching for sticks to use as pokers, as they inevitably got burned up. We called it "changing the channel". One guy finally cut, and carved a small cedar into a"remote". It lasted all season and is still there! Sorry I don't have pics. It has play, stop, and pause buttons.

/ New guy with a fire pit
Looks great! I was down at my fire pit recently. The snow has all melted, and the pit is filled with branches I picked up on the "lawn". Found out I have to renew my burn permit if I'm not cooking. Last summer, I had a bunch of my sailing buddies down for a campout. We kept searching for sticks to use as pokers, as they inevitably got burned up. We called it "changing the channel". One guy finally cut, and carved a small cedar into a"remote". It lasted all season and is still there! Sorry I don't have pics. It has play, stop, and pause buttons.

Yikes, a burn permit! Down here, if it is in a defined pit it is considered a ceremonial fire :cool: I do lay off the burning this time of year when the drought index (About the Keetch-Byram drought index (KBDI): Florida Division of Forestry- FDACS). I usually lay off when the KDBI scale gets up to about 550 or so. Right now we are over 600 I believe.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I do have to say I don't miss shoveling snow this time of year, but I do have to pay for the nice winter weather in April through November. I guess nothing is free.

Sackett2, I'm glad you appreciated my hour of wood splitting for the year! After seeing what some of the folks on this site go through to get firewood ready for winter, I'm surprised there weren't more comments.

/ New guy with a fire pit #9  
Nice job, it looks very relaxing and peaceful.

Is it normal for you pond to fluctuate by 7 feet or more? Seems like an extreme change in water level. Do you have any fish in it?

Eddie

/ New guy with a fire pit
Eddie,

Yes it is normal and yes there are fish. I caught a 6" one-eyed largemouth in it last year! Mostly the fish seem to be walking catfish. We had a bunch of tillapia when we first moved in years ago but I think the catfish and the herons got them.

Down here we live on the world's biggest sandbar! There is nothing in the soil but sand and a little bit of organic matter which breaks down quickly in the heat and moist conditions. My pond level is roughly the level of the surface water table since the pond is just a hole in the sand. Our soil (and ponds for that matter) are nothing like the ponds in your neck of the woods. Your pond actually holds water, my pond is just missing ground.

Now, if you really want to have your building senses messed up read on. The sand that was dug out to make my pond was piled up to make a high enough place to build my house! It has taken me years to come to terms with the idea of piling up a bunch of dirt and building a house on top! I know that's not how it's done in E TX! But trust me, there is something to be said for having the grade of your finished floor at 24.5' above sea level. It keeps your feet from getting wet and it means you aren't that far from the ocean!